Talk

Advanced search

12 month old no pointing/ joint attention starting to worry

(3 Posts)
Littlemiss82 Mon 16-Oct-17 15:58:07

Hi all,

I'm having concerns regarding my 12 month old, who was born at 37 weeks.

He has recently just started banging two objects together and has waved since 9 months (although this is usually on his terms, when initiated by us or at the wrong times i.e when he's in his highchair)

When he plays he does turn to look at me sometimes but this is usually so I can make the noises for his trucks etc, he also turns round and looks when he's touching the tv or ornaments when he's told no to check for my reaction, most of the time he ignores me and does what he wants anyway 🙄

I'm concerned as he is not pointing at things or bringing me items to show me or try to give me items. He also doesn't seem to understand simple instructions like give me your cup etc. He does understand where's mama/dada/birds and goes to his ball if I ask where it is.

I was just wondering if anyone else's 12 month old was similar or if these things followed later on? I love my son so much just worried about his development at times.

He is babbling, cruising, crawling but a monkey crawl.... half crawl half bum shuffle.

Thanks in advance.

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Mon 16-Oct-17 20:35:59

He sounds absolutely fine. Please don't worry.

Take a look at the 'ages and stages' questionnaire if you want reassurance.

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 16-Oct-17 22:06:03

Him turning to look at you expectantly is joint attention OP....he's "asking" for your input...asking for you to join in. He does sound find to me too.

They don't all point at the same age...or bring things. If he wasn't bringing things or initiating things at 2 then I'd say maybe get him checked.

But he's only 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now