Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler hurting themselves when angry

(4 Posts)
Islacornx Sat 14-Oct-17 22:04:35

My 17 month old, for the past 2 months ish, has started hurting herself during tantrums.
She’ll slap her head over and over, or bang her head either onto the floor repeatedly or onto other objects like the table, or wall or toys.

Obviously I stop her straight away especially when she’s banging her head into the floor/objects but it takes her a very long time to calm down afterwards.

Is this just a phase or is this an issue I need to look into further? sad

pistonpower Mon 16-Oct-17 12:44:40

My brother did the exact same when he was a toddler. He used to bang his head against the wall. It was attention seeking as I was a new baby at the time. My mum used to say stop being silly and moved out of the room as without an audience he would stop. I am not saying that it is the best solution but it worked for her. Has there been any big changes in the family recently?

laura6032 Mon 16-Oct-17 15:33:12

I would probably agree with pp, if it gets them attention they'll roll with it.

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:32:32

My daughter does this and slaps herself and bites her hand until she gets my attention. I just leave her to it now and she's not doing it as much. She'll soon stop when it hurts. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now