Talk

Advanced search

15 months, not waking but new habit

(6 Posts)
newmums2016 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:12:38

So my daughter is 15 months, not waking yet but not overly concerned as she was prem and has been a bit slower in development here and there. Anyway, she's not walking but when she wants to walk she has started putting her hands in mine so that I have to "walk her" to wherever she wants to go. At first I thought this was good but I'm now wondering if this will just delay her further if she's always getting me to hold her weight. Any advice??

CosyPinkBlanket Sun 15-Oct-17 12:01:26

My 15 month is doing that still. She wasn't premature, just not ready to walk herself. She takes a few steps on her own before falling over but generally likes to hold on to my or her dad's hands. My friend's ds however was a little early but was walking by himself at 10 months. I quite happy fpr her to be holding on to my hands as, to me, it's all practice! I did think she'd be walking independently by now though but I'm not worried.

Goldmandra Sun 15-Oct-17 14:51:28

No this won't hold her back. It's a perfectly normal stage of learning to walk. It will be building her confidence, helping her posture change to make it easier for her to balance upright and be helping her learn to balance.

Once she has matured enough and developed the skills to walk, she will let go of you and just do it by herself.

Don't push her or stop helping her if she wants it. Let her have fun walking round holding onto you. Children are programmed to be independent and make progress. She will walk independently in her own time. Just keep supporting her and enjoying holding her hands. It doesn't last forever.

newmums2016 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:59:38

Thanks for the advice and reassurance, it's out my mind at ease! So many uncertainties when your a FTM xx

CosyPinkBlanket Sun 15-Oct-17 19:18:25

My favourite is "is normal?!?!"! It always usually is! grin

CosyPinkBlanket Sun 15-Oct-17 19:19:49

"Is THIS normal" even! It's hard to not compare babies (I have done) but they'll get there when they're ready. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now