Talk

Advanced search

Baby screaming when I given bottle

(8 Posts)
Nikster11 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:34:31

Hi All,
Just looking for a bit of advice.

My 3 month old has recently started screaming every time she is given the bottle. She even starts crying when I put her in a position to start feeding. I bob her about for a little bit to calm her down and then she drinks fine.

She has had a cold very recently, but I can’t think of anything else that would be causing her to suddenly act like this. I haven’t changed any formula/teats/bottles or anything.

Has anyone else been through something similar? It’s so horrible to see her get so upset at every feed.

Thanks,
Nic

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 09-Oct-17 17:58:02

Could she be teething?

Anon120055509 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:53:32

My LO used to do this because he had Reflux. Is your LO sickly with their bottles??

Nikster11 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:21:41

Yes she is quite sickly after a bottle. She normally brings up a bit of milk after every feed.

I wondered if it could be teething but can’t see anything obvious to suggest it although she does try and chomp her hands off all the time!

She just goes absolutely nuts almost every time I try and feed her and she’s going about 3 and a half hours in between feeds because of it. Some days she’s absolutely fine and other days not! So odd!

Anon120055509 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:48:52

It could be reflux. My little one was the exact same! Then I got him aptamil Reflux milk which is thicker so digests in the stomach faster and he got so much better. - also it possibly might be wind? There’s different things you could try like gripe water to try and get gas bubbles away

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 11-Oct-17 17:36:42

It could be reflux but I think reflux is a symptom rather than a diagnosis, but I could be wrong. As suggested, one of the reflux formulas might be worth a try. If she has wind, you could try something like the Tiger in the Tree hold, there’s a video on YouTube.

When you say she’s going 3.5 hours between feeds, is she drinking enough? She should be having 2.5 floz per pound in weight in 24 hours. So if she’s 8 lb, she should have 20 floz over 24 hours, IYGWIM.

With the screaming, vomiting and refusing bottles, I’d be looking at Cows Milk Protein allergy. Have a read of this and see what you think. smile

Nikster11 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:19:42

That’s great, thank you everyone.

I’ve just googled reflux and it sounds exactly like this! I will ring health visitor tomorrow and see what she thinks.

I will also ask if she thinks it’s a good idea for us to move her on to the aptamil anti reflux. I am up for trying anything that will stop her screaming!

Thanks!

Nikster11 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:44:04

Hi! Me again!

Still having the same issues with feeding my daughter.

I went to see the health visitor and she felt it wasn’t reflux because I bob her up and down when feeding her now as it’s the only way she will take milk. She thought that it would make things worse if she had reflux.

She suggested it might be colic, temporary lactose intolerance or teething.

She wasn’t concerned as she is putting on weight and is a really happy baby (until it comes to feeding).
She will cry for milk, then when I try and feed her she opens her mouth to take it and immediately starts screaming so I put her in her bouncer and have to repeat this every 10 mins until she feeds!

I have no idea what to do now, I’ve tried things for teething and I’m considering changing her milk but not sure if I should?

Has anyone experienced this and found something that helps?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: