Talk

Advanced search

Dd 9 reluctant to tidy...

(4 Posts)
zozozoo Sat 07-Oct-17 15:42:29

She says I'm mean for asking, that other mums don't make their children tidy, that her dad is so much nicer, that I should be the one doing it all, that her life should be fun etc. It's a daily struggle. She's had all the explanations and gentle reminders and less gentle ones but is completely opposed to it. When she ever does anything I will have had to ask and spell it out several times then when done there will be the big announcement of her having finished (usually it's not actually finished).
All I ask is that she tidy up after herself, act in a way that doesn't make a mess eg eat nicely at the dinner table and at least once or twice do something else during the week like empty the dishwasher or fold a few clothes.
I work full time and with that and being single and taking DD and sibling to classes most evenings I need the co-operation.
Any tips/stories/advice please?

malificent7 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:27:59

I feel your pain.. dd 9 is just the same. Of course your not mean for insisting she helps... many kids from different cultures wouldn't blink an eyelid at helping out.
However... I gave yet to find a way to get my dd to tidy without using bribes!

zozozoo Sun 08-Oct-17 12:49:13

Thanks smile Ah good old bribes

stepbystepdoula Wed 11-Oct-17 09:37:17

Of course you need some help, Reno d yourself that these are skills for life and you are encouraging self sufficiency.
I use a tick chart, it's on the fridge, so visible and pocket money is dependant in chores done. Not so much a bribe, but incentive. I have also found my daughter more receptive to having a bigger task. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now