Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Diagnosing colour blindness in a 2.5 year old

(9 Posts)
feelinginthedark Fri 29-Sep-17 21:58:12

Where is the best place to go? DH and I are both doctors although not paediatricians, so while we've used online info to pretty much diagnose DD ourselves, we don't know what age she should go to an optician to get our suspicions confirmed? Any experience? (She can't distinguish red or green from each other or from black, and describes lots of colours as purple if anyone is wondering why we're so sure!) any advice appreciated with thanks 😀

buckyou Fri 29-Sep-17 22:56:05

Isn't colour blindness very rare in girls?

Canofpeas Sat 30-Sep-17 06:51:08

Is it too early to diagnose? My DD is 2.5 too and is misnaming colours. I was hoping it was a phase/game.

Witchend Sat 30-Sep-17 09:50:19

I thought dd1 was colour blind at that age. She didn't get colours until she was 3.6yo. She could actually read the name of colours, but not recognise them, which is very odd. She suddenly got them, and within a week not only knew the basic colours, but ones like turquoise and beige.
Dd2 learnt her first colours at about 18 months (pink!) and gradually learnt more learning the more complicated ones like turquoise and beige at... about 3.6yo.

What you can do is find on the internet the tracing a path rather than number colour blind tests. if she can follow the line then that's great, if she doesn't, I still wouldn't think that's a definite sign as they don't always follow instructions at that age.

mumof3boys33 Sat 30-Sep-17 16:57:48

Yes you can get charts online that children can run their finger along. But surely nothing can be done anyway? Or am I wrong? I'm not a doctor/optimistic.

feelinginthedark Sat 30-Sep-17 20:31:16

Thanks for all the advice I'll look for the tracing a line charts. I know it can't be cured obviously but I don't want her starting Montessori and being at a disadvantage!

mumof3boys33 Sat 30-Sep-17 21:28:55

Ha ha just seen my reply. It was meant to say optician not optimist! Sorry! Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.

underneaththeash Sun 01-Oct-17 22:12:57

Yes, we have charts that you just ring your finger along. As a pp said it's very rare in girls as it's x-linked, so unless your DH is colour blind then it's very very unlikely that she is.

There is a very rare condition where the are no rods in the retina, so that people can basically on see in black and white, but it's also associated with a very low visual acuity and often nystagmus.

One of my children also took a while to 'get' colours, I'm sure they were 3.5 before everything wasn't green!

Mamimawr Sat 07-Oct-17 07:57:39

My daughter couldn't tell the difference bwtween red and green at that age but grew out of it by about 5 years old as did my friend's daughter. I'm not sure why you would need a diagnosis. Just let nursery staff and school.teacher (when she starts) know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now