Talk

Advanced search

18 months no proper words, understanding of instruction or walking :(

(14 Posts)
Harrietxo Wed 27-Sep-17 20:49:29

Hey guys, I have a beautiful 18 month old son and I love everything about him, but he is so far behind other children. He doesn't really seem to understand what I'm saying but will respond to his name and will laugh back with you if he does something funny. He also has little to no words, maybe the occasional hiya(usually not in right context), he uses ta when he wants or receives something but I feel this is more said becuase of repetition not on a level of understanding if that makes sense?🤔. Since he's been born he's had strange problems with his feet, he left them very screwed up after birth for a few week and from then on has had blue and swollen feet from time to time (the colour is slightly better now he's coasting furniture, swelling is still present though.) HV has finally referred him but his appointment isn't until November😕. Can anyone advise me on where to go with this or anything that could help? Thankyou for reading, I'm a pretty worried mummy 😔.

EssexMummy123456 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:39:15

your gp

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Fri 29-Sep-17 09:48:04

Another vote for going to your GP. In the meantime, you could take a look at the 'ages and stages' 18 month questionnaire - it's a pdf, so I can't figure out how to link it, but if you google 'ages and stages 18 months' it should turn up.

Harrietxo Sat 30-Sep-17 08:27:35

Okay thankyou very much guys! any ideas on what could be causing this? I'll book an appointment with my gp, just been wrapped up with appointments for surgeries he has to have for hypospadias correction, poor little mansad. Thanks again

mumof3boys33 Sat 30-Sep-17 17:05:57

My oldest son didn't say anything really until he was almost 2 years old.
BUT...he did understand everything I asked. He wasn't even a year and he'd clap when asked and wave etc. I'd ask where his head was, ears were, fingers etc. at around a year, maybe a bit older, I can't remember exactly when as he's 16 now. He used to touch anything I asked about or show me his fingers etc.
The health visitor was really concerned when she heard he didn't speak by 18 months. But I wasn't worried as I knew he was just holding back for some reason. Once he did speak he said most words correctly straight away.
You know your child, if you are worried then please seek help.

Harrietxo Tue 03-Oct-17 13:21:19

See my son does none of that, I've tried teaching him where his hair and things are ( he loves to brush his own and other peoples) but just doesn't seem to get that it's his hair? It's getting quite a struggle now becuase I'm mainly guessing what he wants and it's draining, he will give me things sometimes like if he wants his cup filling up or a toy switched on but I'm getting really worried😩

mumof3boys33 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:54:11

Can he definitely hear you properly? Being deaf or glue ear can effect development.

Harrietxo Tue 03-Oct-17 23:03:21

I'm pretty sure he can, he turns his head at noises, his name and can hear food wrappers rustling clear as day! I'm not sure if he's having a hearing test when he goes down to his appointment about his feet (HV isn't being very clear about what's going on), I'm going to my first toddler group run by the children's center on Thursday so hopefully someone can help me out there with how to go about things

Scaredparent Wed 04-Oct-17 07:39:18

Think it’s a boy

Like I found people with boys get no sleep and people with girls get loads of sleep.

mumof3boys33 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:07:31

It may be something as simple as his hearing. I hope you get some help soon. Push for it though. Good luck.

NikkyJ Thu 05-Oct-17 08:22:39

is there any children around?
I think being with other children will help him to progress faster

Harrietxo Thu 05-Oct-17 08:37:10

He sees a lot his cousin, although there's quite and age gap he's 7. I'm going to try out some of the sessions the children's center have on offer and see if it helps with his progression

Guardsman18 Thu 05-Oct-17 08:45:45

Def go to your GP and get a referral to Paediatrician. It could be that he's a late starter but if not he will get help with speech and language etc. I hope it's nothing to worry about x. I just wanted to add that when you go to your toddlers group, there will be some parents who have super duper chatty, potty trained, eat anything dc!
Try not to compare your ds with others. Their all different. Good luck x

Guardsman18 Thu 05-Oct-17 08:46:38

* They're!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now