Talk

Advanced search

Please help 4year old hitting

(3 Posts)
Tazxxxxxx Wed 27-Sep-17 17:30:24

So my DS1 has just started reception and he is already the “problem child” everyday his teacher tells me he has hurt somebody, it seems to be in anger or frustration and I witnessed it myself n the playground today, he punched a boy and obviously i dealt with that situation. Ive read all about how to deal with this in young children but i guess im looking for somebody that is or has been through the same. Im totally gutted i need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel x

OP’s posts: |
ToffleMoomin Fri 29-Sep-17 13:31:55

Hi. I am in a very similar situation. What is your school suggesting to work on this? They should already have some plans in place to observe, identify what starts problems, and address them.

My dc's school are using a visual timetable a lot as transitions are a big issue, it helps with knowing what is coming.

There's also a book I am currently reading called The Explosive Child which is really interesting. It assumes that children who behave like this don't have the skills to make better choices. They aren't choosing to be bad, so traditional discipline can only do so much. You also have to work on whatever their lagging skills are so they can avoid these situations. I'm not all the way through it yet but it is really changing the way I am thinking.

Definitely speak to the school about it all, the sooner you can all start working on it the better.

Tazxxxxxx Fri 29-Sep-17 15:55:39

Hi thank you so much for your reply, the book sounds a good idea, at the minute school are saying that they are encouraging him to talk about his feelings etc im not there so dont know how that is working. Its just aweful hearing about this when all the other parents are getting lovely feedback ,,xx

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in