Talk

Advanced search

7-year old REFUSES evening meals

(5 Posts)
peppaandgeorge Sun 24-Sep-17 20:43:41

Hi
I can't believe I'm writing this as I haven't posted anything for years but I'm really struggling with this one.
My 7-year old daughter refuses to eat evening meals. There are about 3 things she'll eat and if it doesn't suit, she just sits and stares at it and will not eat. I've tried so many different things but I'm not getting anywhere and I'm fed up. She moans and whinges and just generally makes mealtimes an ordeal.
These are the things I've tried:-
1) sending her to bed - she's not bothered about this
2) making her stay at the table alone until she eats it - again, not bothered
3) ignoring her - as just sits there
4) making her miss her beloved dance class - she took this on the chin and hasn't improved since

Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sun 24-Sep-17 21:28:18

How much food does she eat the rest of the day? I'd maybe just serve a tiny portion and if she doesn't eat it then just throw it away without comment. Is she losing weight?

peppaandgeorge Sun 24-Sep-17 22:33:24

She barely eats any breakfast - gets bored half way through but then she has a decent packed lunch at school. Good idea about serving her a tiny portion. Thanks smile

peppaandgeorge Sun 24-Sep-17 22:34:18

And no, she doesn't appear to be losing weight which surprises me.

TieGrr Tue 26-Sep-17 16:05:43

Stop turning it into a battle. Serve the meal, but if she doesn't want it, just say ok and leave it at that.

Mealtimes used to be a nightmare for me as a kid. I had issues with the texture of potatoes and usually 5 out of 7 dinners a week included potatoes. I used to have to sit for what felt like hours, until my mother would finally relent and let me leave the table. It did neither of us any favours.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in