Talk

Advanced search

Speech regression

(5 Posts)
billyjean85 Wed 19-Jul-17 17:07:46

Hi all,
I'm a first time mum and worrying myself sick for my 20 mo DD.
She had 30 words till 3 weeks ago.
In the last 3 weeks she gradually stopped using her words as often as she used to. For ex, she used to spontaneously say "goodbye" and wave every time someone left but now she won't do it even when prompted.
She would say repeatedly "wawa" to request water or "yoyou" for yoghurt. Then she dropped one syllable and would say "wa" or "you".
Now tho, she doesn't pipe a word apart from “mama” and “papa”, she will just point and whine.
At first I thought it was just a little phase but 3 weeks in, I’m really freaking out now.
In the meantime, she babbles a lot but won't repeat a single word or point to body parts. She could point to her nose, mouth and belly but now she ignores me when I ask her to.
Is this even remotely normal?

missadasmith Wed 19-Jul-17 19:24:41

do you think she may have trouble hearing (recent ear infection for example)?

I'd have a word with the GP or HV given that it has been going on for a while now. It may just be a phase but there can be other reasons for it.

billyjean85 Wed 19-Jul-17 20:31:01

No her hearing is fine. We had it checked again a few weeks ago. I'm really worried about this whole situation

missadasmith Wed 19-Jul-17 20:47:11

I'd speak to the GP or HV and see what they say.

I guess your worry is autism, right? I have a child with severe autism myself but she did not regress and I don't know much about a typical asd regression but I understand why you are concerned but there may be much more innocent causes. But rather than going out of my mind I'd seek advice.

From experience, I would see GP rather than HV. I found HVs always pretty clueless when it came to atypical child development.

Hawkmoth Thu 19-Oct-17 22:17:26

How did you get on OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now