Baby "thumb pressing"

(11 Posts)
Bekb Tue 11-Jul-17 12:41:20

I am going out of my mind reading things on the internet regarding what my little one is currently doing, she is using her thumbs a lot to press down on things and then moving her hand round while her thumb is still pressed down, is this normal? Is this we learning what to do with her hands? I have attached a photo to show what I am trying to explain... she seems to have started doing this more regular in the past week or so! Currently waiting for the health visitor to ring me back so I can ask her for advice as well!

OP’s posts: |
fuglybeatch Tue 11-Jul-17 13:11:09

Erm she's probably just trying it out? My dd would circle her feet/ankles constantly at one point, they do weird stuff. What's worrying you so much?

Bekb Tue 11-Jul-17 14:49:44

A few family members have picked up on her doing it so I thought I would just google it see if it "means" or is a sign of anything of us purely just something she fancies doing?! Seem a few posts come up about early signs of autism so my mind has gone into overdrive and I have been panicking.. she's my first baby as well so I'm still learning what's normal.

WineCheeseSleep Tue 11-Jul-17 21:52:08

How old is she? Both of mine have done exactly this, I think it's just them working out how their hands work. She'll move on to something else soon! smile

professorvanvonsteinenburg Wed 12-Jul-17 02:48:30

It's not a sign of autism....

Or at least not when your child is a baby, a lot of things that are "Sign of autism" are actually normal things for babies to do that are out of place in older children, like schemas, where they line things up by colour is normal until 3 or 4, but a sign of autism at 6 or 7.

Willis15 Wed 12-Jul-17 09:14:35

My daughter done this, I googled and was totally freaked. She would do it all the time even pressing it on people when they held her etc. She is now 19 months and doesn't do it anymore. I can't remember when she stopped it. She seems fine so far.

Bekb Wed 12-Jul-17 10:46:04

I've spoken with the health visitor and she says it's normally for her to do things like this! Especially if she has had a reaction from someone whilst doing it she will do it all the more! I feel better now someone has told me it's "normal" worse thing I could have done is google it!

Mayari11 Mon 22-Jul-19 23:23:05

Hi there. I was reading the original post and my 8 month old is doing the same thing. Are there any updates you could provide to help me please? I know this post was a long time ago so I wanted to see if anything came of this behavior. Thank you!

Lauraonline Fri 14-Aug-20 08:06:25

Hi just wondering any development as my son is doing this a lot and I am very concerned about autism so any update to help piece of mind or to other way would be grateful so I can stop wondering - thank u

shazzz1xx Fri 14-Aug-20 15:28:37

My daughter did it and I was freaking out but she doesn’t do it anymore she’s 12 month now x

Lauraonline Fri 14-Aug-20 19:52:11

Thank you just good to hear other people’s experiences and trying not to worry too much

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in