Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 year old will not go to sleep before 9pm anymore!

(8 Posts)
Dizzywhore Sun 02-Jul-17 21:10:55

She's so tired in the mornings, comes out of school and looks ill with tiredness, is moody and grumpy but it comes to bedtime and she will not go to sleep! Iv started putting her to bed later, about 8pm to see if that helps but no still 9ish before she actually fulls a sleep. No idea what to do. We have a good evening routine, bath or shower (most nights not every) milk, stories bed.
Any suggestion would be great.

piggybank Mon 03-Jul-17 13:15:12

I feel for you!

Is it possible to give her more exercise? Perhaps straight after school? Or a walk after dinner to relax?

My ds swims several times a week which helps him sleep.

We had a problem with early rising and used a carrot and stick approach. We used tv but you could use whatever motivates her.

Tv removed for whole day for undesired behaviour and rewarded for desired behaviour.

So your dd would earn TV (or other reward) by being asleep by X time and if that works, creep the time forward to your target bedtime. Stick to the 'punishment '.

Over time that worked for us for 'calling us too early' and it is hardly ever mentioned now. The exercise helps us at bedtime.

Dizzywhore Mon 03-Jul-17 18:11:53

She's a very active child, always plays outside after school but a bike ride might help i suppose. It's a hard one because I have a almost 3 year old that likes to be in bed by 6.30 and I don't finish work until 5.30 4 nights a week. 😕
I might try cutting tv out in the afternoon/evening.

Dizzywhore Mon 03-Jul-17 18:11:56

She's a very active child, always plays outside after school but a bike ride might help i suppose. It's a hard one because I have a almost 3 year old that likes to be in bed by 6.30 and I don't finish work until 5.30 4 nights a week. 😕
I might try cutting tv out in the afternoon/evening.

Ferguson2 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:27:23

I have always thought an evening bath is more likely to STIMULATE a child, so making sleep more difficult. Maybe try bath or shower earlier in the day, or first thing in the morning.

Dizzywhore Tue 04-Jul-17 17:11:38

No way on this earth i could bath them first thing as I start work at 7 30 most days. But a bath about 6pm might work.

uhoh2016 Thu 06-Jul-17 21:03:55

I think the lighter nights don't help either, something in her mind will be questioning why she's going to bed when it's still day time. Does she have black out blinds?
Maybe close them earlier on when she has her bath and spend a little time in her room reading or relaxing on her bed with her so she's already settled in a darker environment when it's eventually time to go to sleep

BlueChampagne Fri 07-Jul-17 11:34:11

Hot weather never helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now