Talk

Advanced search

19 months stalling progress in speech

(3 Posts)
gaelle79 Sun 25-Jun-17 12:50:36

Hi all,

the last time I counted, DD (dear daughter) had 20ish words she would use rather regularly. About 2 weeks ago, she learned 5 of these words in a very short period of time. I thought she was having her word explosion but since then, she didn't gained a single new word.

More worrisome, she is using those she had less often. She still use them when prompted so she didn't forget but she's more quiet overall.

Should I be worried about that or is that a normal thing to see in toddlers ?

She's also a late walker (started at 18 months) A month later, she only walks now (no more crawling) but still falls at least once every 10 mn. Her gait is also still a bit wide and she doesn't bend her knees very well (legs a bit stiff).

MessyBun247 Sun 25-Jun-17 13:26:39

Sometimes a slight temporary regression in development happens just before a major leap forward. Or maybe your DD is focusing on other skills right now?

tessiebear4 Sun 25-Jun-17 20:19:04

19 months is still very early to be worried about speech. Some children are talking by then but many aren't. They mainly get going around 2.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: