Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3 month old suddenly upset in the bath

(9 Posts)
affectionincoldclimate Tue 20-Jun-17 12:01:16

Hoping MN hive can shed some light on this.

DD is 11 weeks old. Started having regular baths at 4 weeks. To date she really enjoyed them (as much as you can tell) - smiley, relaxed, moving arms and legs in the water. We use a baby bath seat covered with a towel so she is always secured, with me or DP pouring water gently over her with a small jug. She particularly liked having hair washed. Sometime last week she got upset in the bath. I was used to her getting upset when being taken out and having a cry after but not in the bath. Since then she's been just hysterical in the bath and although we do exactly the same things she's reacting to them why such fear and upset and distressed crying I am at loss at what to do. In this hot weather bath seemed to be the best way to cool her and make her comfortable so seeing her so upset is just baffling (and heart breaking). We usually give her an oil massage afterwards which she loved but is now as distressed by it now. confused

Any thoughts/suggestions/similar experiences you managed to overcome would be welcome.

beccii161016 Tue 20-Jun-17 14:58:32

Could it be the she maybe needs the water a little cooler due to the weather?

Either that or the other way around and she'd like it warmer! My DS loves the bath and has always had baths almost the same temperature as us because any cooler and he just hates them! I learned this during his first proper bath when he cried all the way through grin

affectionincoldclimate Tue 20-Jun-17 17:16:11

Thank you Becci. I'll try with some cooler water today. Somehow I think it's the experience that's freaking her out. She looks absolutely terrified. DP floated her about last week and I wonder if that made her feel insecure and fearful.

beccii161016 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:14:24

It definitely could have been that but I'm sure I read something about my 8 month old today that he was just beginning to enter the "learning fear" stage! Has any water ever splashed on her face maybe? I know some babies hate that! Could you or DP maybe try sitting in the bath (obviously not the baby one haha) with her to show her you enjoy it and it's safe?

affectionincoldclimate Tue 20-Jun-17 18:58:24

You know what. It could have been the splash on the face.
And that's a genius suggestion. I'll try the bathing with her. Thank you smile

affectionincoldclimate Tue 20-Jun-17 20:59:21

becci
Just had the most wonderful bath with DD and she was peaceful and happy. Looks like she doesn't like lying down (which checks out as i needed to tilt her pram seat upwards too) so I'm getting her more of a tilted bath seat. And I'll be having more baths with her. Thank you! smile

beccii161016 Wed 21-Jun-17 09:35:27

Ah that's fab! Glad to hear she loves the bath again! It's an amazing thing to have in a bedtime routine.

When she has steady head control and can sit a little unsupported, Asda and Smyths do fantastic baby bath seats! We've got one for my son. He can sit unsupported but this just gives us peace of mind that we can get up to grab his towel! They're only £10 ish.

mude Wed 21-Jun-17 21:13:25

My DD did this at about 4 months, was fine when I bathed with her and eventually grew out of it. Everything is a phase!

affectionincoldclimate Thu 22-Jun-17 09:24:16

Thank you both.
Becci - I was eyeing up that seat on amazon! I'll get it as I think she may enjoy it.
Ps. He's very cute

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now