Talk

Advanced search

7 year old behaviour

(10 Posts)
FineAsWeAre Fri 09-Jun-17 21:13:05

Hope someone has some advice for me. My 7 year old DS is really testing my patience at the moment. He's generally well-behaved but has developed this stroppy attitude (backchatting and being very demanding) and is really grumpy/ whingy all the time. I feel like I'm constantly telling him off for being cheeky and he sulks if he doesn't get his own way. It's only been for the last few weeks and I have no idea how to deal with it, I don't know if I'm being too harsh or if I need to be stricter with consequences etc.

MillieMoodle Fri 09-Jun-17 21:54:06

Have found you from my thread fine. We are going to try the marbles in the jar thing to try to reduce the tantrums etc. We have always been fairly laid back with DS1 and I've tried to pick my battles but I think he needs to understand that there have to be consequences to his actions. At the moment, he gets told off if he's cheeky or whatever but getting told off doesn't seem to bother or deter him!

FineAsWeAre Fri 09-Jun-17 22:28:37

Same here, he gets upset if he's told off, apologises, then does it again! He's pretty good at helping round the house if I ask but I might try giving him specific jobs to do every week, make him take a bit more responsibility. I just don't know if it's making things worse me telling him off all the time because it's making me feel really down and he's picking up on it but I'm struggling to ignore it. Let me know how it goes with the marbles. It's so reassuring to know we're not the only ones.

Mbear Fri 09-Jun-17 22:55:05

I'm holding out with my ds at the moment as my dm and I think he's getting a bit big for his boots as he's in year 2 and ready to move to the juniors next sept. I'm hoping the move to the juniors will knock him down a peg or 3 in cockiness as he won't be eldest/outgrown the school etc.

MillieMoodle Fri 09-Jun-17 23:10:47

Fine my DS and yours do sound very similar! Will let you know how the marbles go. Hopefully they'll work grin

FineAsWeAre Sat 10-Jun-17 09:22:17

Mbear, that could be the same with mine. He is friends with some children who are a year older and at junior school and they seem so much more mature this year. I wonder if it will make a difference.

FineAsWeAre Sat 10-Jun-17 10:43:27

Gah, again this morning! We had a good chat about his behaviour and he promised to try harder. 10 minutes later he's whining like a toddler about having to get in the shower and then shouted at his dad halfway through because he decided it was the wrong temperature angry

MillieMoodle Sat 10-Jun-17 12:13:27

Mine has actually been helpful so far today. He even helped make lunch. He had a tantrum about a football trophy earlier but on the whole it's been ok today!

Didiplanthis Sat 10-Jun-17 22:28:00

Please tell me how you are working the marbles thing. I have 5 yr old twin boys who are driving me to distraction with their whining and entitled behaviour.

MillieMoodle Sat 10-Jun-17 23:13:06

Didi I have a thread about my 6 yo's behaviour and someone commented that they had a marble jar for their DD. When she's good, she gets a marble, when she's not, she loses one. If she has to be asked to do something more than twice, she loses a marble. When she has a certain number of marbles then she gets a treat e.g. a day out or something.

I thought it was a fab idea so have ordered a load of marbles off eBay and just waiting for them to arrive so we can start the same with DS. They are taking FOREVER to get here and I am getting very impatient!

This afternoon was awful - he wouldn't do as he was asked at all, wouldn't calm down, wouldn't sit still, followed me around everywhere and kept getting under my feet. He doesn't seem bothered if he's told off. The Wii has been confiscated for months now but he's not really bothered. We've always been quite relaxed about screen time but have decided today that he will have to earn it from now on as I don't know what else to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: