Talk

Advanced search

The mother of all cluster feeds...

(6 Posts)
halfbuffy Wed 07-Jun-17 05:51:33

My 6 day old has been feeding from me since 10pm last night until now pretty solidly.

I've read that cluster feeds can happen with breaks of 15-45 minutes in between but this has been constant and relentless...every time I think she's asleep I go to put her down and she cries for a feed, my DP tried to take her but she cried for a feed.

I just want her to stop so I can have some sleep, I'm so shattered...can anyone offer advice or insight as to whether this is normal? Surely an 8 hour feed isn't?!

(And to be honest I'm not sure how either of us are physically able!)

halfbuffy Wed 07-Jun-17 10:28:49

Bump smile

Liskee Wed 07-Jun-17 16:45:44

I'd say it's less about the feeding and more about the comfort and the sucking. I know the midwives and BF advice groups will be aghast at me asking if you would consider giving her a dummy, but it might help.

I gave DS2 a dummy at a week old and he BF'd til 8 months with no issues. In fact he refused a bottle til about 6/7 months yet would happily suck on a dummy. Just keep latching her on regularly and often. And get a couple of hours kip!

LuckyinOctober Wed 07-Jun-17 22:02:28

My baby was the same, her record is a 24 hour cluster feed though which was also in the first couple of weeks. It's necessary to increase your milk supply to what they need unfortunately. I coped with Netflix, good books, reminding myself of all the pros of breast feeding and also repeating 'this too shall pass'. That and on a practical note heaps of lanolin and cabbage leaves in my bra. Also having someone bring me food and drinks. Can you lie down to feed, at least that way I could doze through some of it? It will get better and be worth it if you can stick at it xx

halfbuffy Wed 07-Jun-17 23:02:50

Lucky I luckily managed to do the laying down position but I'm just so paranoid that I'll smother her, so if I do it then I have to ask my OH to watch over me. Which is fine but then also means he's missing out on all the sleep as well and when his paternity is over it's not fair on him really!

And they all said "sleep when the baby sleeps"...all well and good until she stops!

Anne511 Tue 13-Jun-17 14:39:35

We once had a 7 hour cluster feed.. there was only one that long though! I think if you're oh can watch over you that would be helpful, it won't happen every day. Your baby is building your supply and knows what they're doing! Hope you're getting some rest now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now