Talk

Advanced search

Toddler with poor gross motor skills

(10 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 04-Jun-17 12:15:31

My nearly 3yo isn't great at gross motor skills - his running is clumsy, can only just about jump with both feet off the floor. Doesn't really attempt to dress or undress himself (he can just about pull off a sock but no more).

I have no other worries about him and he's improving steadily but slowly.

I've found the 'Ages and Stages' questionnaire for 36 months online (the one that HVs use for developmental checks) and he is flying in all other areas but barely ticks any of the boxes in the gross motor section.

Is it worth flagging to a HV/GP? I don't know if it needs any intervention or can be a flag for anything else? Or is it just one of those things?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 04-Jun-17 17:57:40

Have you done anything with him to try and improve his skills in this area? Things like Duplo, threading beads, painting or play doh? There are a couple of useful ideas on this link too.

Amaried Sun 04-Jun-17 21:35:22

My ds was similar. Didn't walk till 18 months and even now at 5 runs awkwardly and does things like stairs using one leg.
Having said that he is super bright and popular so it hasn't hurt him in any way. Think he is just going to be one of those non athletic kids. He'll start scouts next year so think that will suit him

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 04-Jun-17 21:38:09

We do those regularly - but aren't they more fine motor skills?

He's less interested in doing things which test his bigger physical movements - he hates soft play, trampolines etc. Not really interested in his balance bike. Playgrounds terrify me a bit - he nearly fell from a tall slide recently due to his clumsiness.

We can try to push him on a bit - but I don't know how 'normal' it is for him to be struggling as he does.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 05-Jun-17 10:38:51

Hopeful bump!

tessiebear4 Mon 05-Jun-17 12:43:41

He honestly doesn't sound delayed in any way to me, especially at only just 3. My son took a while to alternate feet on stairs. The point is he is improving and making progress. Just give him lots of opportunities to practice - trampolines, tumble toys etc

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 05-Jun-17 21:30:27

Amaried - sorry I missed your comment, pleased to hear that he's not impacted in other ways

tessie although he's a bit behind his peers I wasn't really worried about it - it's only because he's in the "further assessment recommended" category in the Ages and Stages questionnaire that got me thinking.

WannaBeAWarhol Mon 05-Jun-17 21:44:57

It's probably worth mentioning it to your health visitor. DS1 was the same at that age and everyone told me he would catch up eventually, he's now 7 and I'm convinced he has dyspraxia but his teachers don't seem
remotely interested. He never quite caught up with his peers, can ride a bike but hates doing it, it just seems like it's too much effort for him. I'm still being told "he'll get there in the end." You're much better off mentioning it now, it might be nothing at all but if it is you'll regret not asking sooner.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 06-Jun-17 08:01:32

WannaBe - other than his gross motor skills, is there anything else that makes you think about dyspraxia? It had crossed my mind about my DS but I didn't know if it could be isolated to gross motor (I don't see any issues with fine motor or cognition), or whether that could become evident when he is older

Amaried Tue 06-Jun-17 12:07:36

My DS while generally clumsy learned to cycle his bike last year (4), he's a slow runner . Poor at sports etc but otherwise not impacted at all.
I'd mention it to your PHN if your worried but from what you've said I think I'd just work with him as you have been doing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now