Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a dc who just doesn't seem to need much sleep?

(9 Posts)
stuckinthehouse Sat 03-Jun-17 19:50:53

She's only 6yo but just seems to not need as much sleep as her peers. We have already shifted her bedtime back to 8:30 but she still wakes up at 6am without fail. She occasionally has a grumpy tired day but usually sails through without an issue.

We are slowly coming to terms with the fact that we are soon to lose our evenings. I think if she were a bit older it would be easier, as she would be better at entertaining herself during the post-dinner lul. She's also not yet old enough to be able to watch the things we watch on telly.

So what do we do? We obviously can't force her to sleep if she doesn't need it, but how can we occupy her in the evenings? She can't spend the time in her room as her younger sibling is asleep in there from 7pm.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 04-Jun-17 18:03:35

Does she definitely not need the sleep? I'm only asking as I could put my DC to bed at 2am and they'd both awake at 6am and one of them is a teen!

Amaried Sun 04-Jun-17 21:20:25

My just turned 7 ds is similar . I think he is a bit immature versus some of the more tuned in boys in the class . Loads of toilet humour and silly voices. To be honest he's driving me bonkers.. am praying he'll grow out of it before I kill him.

Amaried Sun 04-Jun-17 21:20:50

Sorry completely wrong thread above

Andro Sun 04-Jun-17 23:42:56

I have 2 like that, it's their normal. Our advantage is that they have their own rooms, so I'm not much help with the entertaining side.

Redcliff Sun 04-Jun-17 23:51:08

Both my boys are like this. The oldest will read in Hus room though although he is older
Could she have a lamp in the room so she could do crafts or read simple books?

DarkFloodRises Mon 05-Jun-17 08:20:33

My 7yo goes to sleep at 8.30 and wakes at 6.30 at the latest, so similar to your DD. He doesn't seem tired either. Some children just do need less sleep than others! I also have older DC though, so we've already lost our evenings.

PeachPearPotato Mon 05-Jun-17 13:37:37

My DD is exactly the same so I am watching thread.

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 05-Jun-17 20:52:20

My 5yo goes to sleep between 10:30 and 11pm, wakes herself naturally and happily without any tired days ever by 8 at the latest. Like yours, it's within the normal range of sleep.

She doesn't need entertaining though, and she can watch the things we watch on tv and otherwise entertain herself, she's generally in her room by 9-9:30 where we chat and tell stories for half an hour when she then occupies herself until sleeping with reading or writing or puzzles or something.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: