Talk

Advanced search

Stuttering

(5 Posts)
Poseyrose11 Mon 29-May-17 07:16:33

Hello, just looking for some advice about my little boy. He is 27 months old and in the last few days he has started stuttering and it's seeming to get worse. It's usually at the start of a sentence so will be I I I I I I need breakfast mummy or wha wha wha what about this? This morning he has got up and seems to be having real trouble with it is so he will try to say it is over and over til in the end he either laughs and gives up or manages to carry on to what he wants to say. I've had a quick Google and it says it can be normal but I'm still very worried. He was a late talker but is a real chatter box now and it's upsetting me watching him struggle to get his words out. Has anyone else had this with their little one and is there anything I can do to help him? Thank you

BlueChampagne Wed 31-May-17 16:43:20

It is very likely to be a phase; his brain is going faster than his mouth! Both mine did it for a little. You could try and get him to slow down, and if it persists, mention it the the health visitor.

Fingers crossed for you.

Emma1609 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:06:52

This happened with my dd around this age, quite badly and noticeable. My brother had a stutter as a child and had to have speech therapy so i I was worried as I found out it runs in families, but it turned out to be a phase - she was learning lots of new words and couldn't get them out quick enough! She's nearly 4 now and going through the same thing again (although a lot milder) but now I know that her speaking and sentences are really improving and becoming more complex- so don't worry!

Emma1609 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:10:08

I read advice from the stammer assiciation which was to ignore the stutter and whatever you do don't try and talk for them or start their sentence for them. Just let them try and say it as much as they need to (even though it's really hard!) He is probably trying to form these full sentences in his head and once he's got the hang of it the stutter will disappear.

Poseyrose11 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:37:28

Thank you both for your replies. He seems to have got a lot worse over the last few days and it's pretty much every sentence he says now. Last night he was trying to tell me he wanted something and couldn't get it out he turned to me and said I can't say it mummy and started crying. I am an anxious parent at the best of the times and this is really breaking my heart. I will try to follow your advice and hope that it is just a phase. It is reassuring to know it sometimes is just a phase that they need to work through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now