Talk

Advanced search

5 year old made inadvertently racist remark.

(4 Posts)
carameldecaflatte Sun 28-May-17 16:32:54

My almost 5 year old son was looking at a book and saw a picture of a black boy and said, "I call him poo face" and when I asked him why, he said, "because his face is exactly the colour of poo". I was shocked to say the least and I would be utterly mortified if he said this in public!

I know that at 5 he isn't racist. We do live in a part of the uk which is mostly white so he doesn't see many black or brown faces (in his reception year - 3 classes of 30 children there are 97 white children).

Any advice? I told him that if he called anyone poo-face they would feel really sad and might be angry with him and that people come in all sorts of lovely colours. Is this enough?

Della1 Sun 28-May-17 18:27:25

Yes I think that sounds great. You could also use smarties to illustrate that everyone comes in different colours but we are all the same on the inside. TBH I think you've explained it well.

carameldecaflatte Sun 28-May-17 20:46:20

Thank you for replying Della. I love the idea of the using smarties, I'll give it a go.

Della1 Sun 28-May-17 21:12:20

That's ok. I used to be a Primary teacher and I remember doing it in assembly once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now