Talk

Advanced search

Has Horrid Henry ever said this??

(29 Posts)
SunsetOnTheHorizon Thu 25-May-17 18:22:37

Long story short my DS who is 7 got into a whole load of trouble this afternoon and I was called in to see the Head. He said 'I'm going to kill you' to a fellow pupil.

I have asked him why he said this and his excuse was Horrid Henry said it to Peter turned into a robot and stamped on him. I have said that it is still unexceptable in any case. But.....

I know HH has anger problems and he isn't the nicest worded character. But anyone out there who knows or is sure that Horrid Henry would say that. Or has seen this episode. Or has my DS made a fantasy story up to keep out of trouble....

FlyingDuck Thu 25-May-17 18:29:37

If you google HH and "I'll kill you", the phrase features in one of the books (said to Margaret) so it's not unlikely that it is also in the TV show. HH is awful; fortunately DS (also 7) has lost interest in them recently. I might discreetly hide them...

SunsetOnTheHorizon Thu 25-May-17 18:31:35

Fabulous!! Weird reply I know. But The Head mentioned child protection because of what he said. I mean wtf.... try discussing the matter first before chucking things into the deep end!! I knew he isnt capable of saying this... also where would he have heard it from apart from TV.

I'

2014newme Thu 25-May-17 18:31:54

My children are not allowed to watch horrid Henry it's a vile programme. I also got rid if the books.

MargotLovedTom1 Thu 25-May-17 18:33:10

Child protection? Blimey.

Decsbetterhalf Thu 25-May-17 18:34:08

Child protection? Jesus Christ here we go another well needed CP family will miss out because your perfectly normal DS picked up a phrase from HH

00100001 Thu 25-May-17 18:34:23

The school have a legal duty to report stuff like that. Honest. That's why you get called in and it is taken seriously.

It's to do with PREVENT

pottered Thu 25-May-17 18:34:25

I don't let my dd watch it either - Ive heard kids in her class say variously: 'I'm going to kill you', I'm going to stab you I'm going to rip your face off...

It sounds dramatic to them, they've no real idea what they're saying they just like the sound of it - dd goes to a v naice primary and they're 6.5-7.5!

pottered Thu 25-May-17 18:38:22

TBH, they could've picked it up from horrible histories, it's hardly a rare phrase, or another kid in class - think head is over reacting - admit I was surprised when dd said she was going to rip my butt off when she was cross!

Decsbetterhalf Thu 25-May-17 18:51:41

So every time a child says something not quite perfect child protection get called?

Empireoftheclouds Thu 25-May-17 18:53:41

He could have picked it up from tv but at the same time a 7 year old should be well aware that it's not something you use

OpalTree Thu 25-May-17 18:55:24

I googled and as Flying says he says it to Moody Margaret in an Abominable Snowman book.

soapboxqueen Thu 25-May-17 18:56:03

I would suggest to the Head she needs to go through the school library and remove all of the dangerous texts such as red riding hood and hansel & gretal etc

whirlycurly Thu 25-May-17 18:57:48

I banned that programme from our house for that reason. With a ds who is mildly on the autistic spectrum and likes to parrot phrases he hears on tv, it was a recipe for disaster. sad

Cabawill Thu 25-May-17 18:58:40

My DD (5 at the time) was told by the dinner lady that they'd run out of jacket potatoes one day. Her response was to say "I'll kill myself if I can't have a jacket potato".

We were called in to see the Head and were also told about safeguarding and a referral. Who knows where they get these things- she is extremely dramatic in general.

I'm pretty sure he's not plotting anyone's downfall though OP.

00100001 Thu 25-May-17 22:29:27

decsbetterhalf Basically, yes. Prevent duty is a legal thing that schools have to a legal requirement to follow. The government is trying to prevent radicalisation of young people. So, If any child says anything that is extreme or potentially radical such as "I'm going to kill you" or "I'm gonna shoot themy" oR whatever. The School must follow procedure. Which means that you might get a call when your superoxide made DC goes "I'm gonna kill all the baddies "

00100001 Thu 25-May-17 22:29:39

Super hero*

00100001 Thu 25-May-17 22:30:24

Or when your child says they will kill themselves

SunsetOnTheHorizon Thu 25-May-17 22:34:21

That has put a lot into perspective. He was apologetic and knew he shouldn't have said that. But what gets me is a lot of phrases I tell him not to use are cropping up in his books.

Recently, shut up was in bold in one of his books... and he kept on reading that page, like it was ok now to use these phrases.

It is annoying as school are jumping down parents throat and scaring them with child protection etc, when something like this can be so easily resolved.

This prevent programme has many flaws and is causing teachers to become paranoid and parents being victimised IMO.

SunsetOnTheHorizon Thu 25-May-17 22:37:24

Radicalisation? Oh ffs. He has been watching one too many episodes of HH, not brainwashing YouTube videos of hate and bile.

Once again, paranoid.

Widening the gap between tearchers and parents. The Head needs a dose of reality.

TulipsInAJug Thu 25-May-17 22:38:45

My DD loves Horrid Henry and I actively encourage her to read the books, it gets her reading. blush

SunsetOnTheHorizon Thu 25-May-17 22:39:30

Oh since the first post. He has been talking about bogey brain all evening. Sounds like another HH phrase.

00100001 Fri 26-May-17 07:17:19

I'm not saying your DH is radicalised. I'm explaining the people WHY the school got in touch. There are children being radicalised in thus country and one of the indicators is kids saying things like "I'm going to kill you"

It's their legal duty. They can't just pick and choose who to protect. Just like they wouldn't ignore if a child said "X touched my willy yesterday" or "Y says if I fail my test I'll get smacked "

SunsetOnTheHorizon Fri 26-May-17 23:12:21

He copied a phrase off of a cartoon. And the child protection procedure was mentioned right away without any discussion.

SunsetOnTheHorizon Fri 26-May-17 23:14:21

Pressed post too soon. I'm not talking about other children out there who need protecting, I was wanting to discuss this specific incident. Head hasn't got a clue IMO esp after todays meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now