Talk

Advanced search

How much Screen time is ok?

(3 Posts)
toplizzy Wed 24-May-17 21:31:01

I have a DD aged 9 and a DS 12. How much screen time is ok and what times of day, (holidays are coming), I do specify no screens after 7 pm! Any one found a regime that work

Iloveanimals Wed 24-May-17 22:22:42

Well, firstly I would say it matters on what kind of things are on the screen. For example if a child is playing a game with lots of flashing lights and racing it is advised that they come away quicker than a child watching a more gentle/calmer video.
Also, we must remember screens can also be a great source of learning and information for our kids. Mine is homeschooled and we sometimes use a computer curriculum, which can mean up to 1 hr on the screen at a time.
Most important I think is regular breaks, fresh air and other forms of interaction, such as board games or playing outside. I guess it's more of a worry if a child is on screens 3-4 hours at a time without a break, than 3-4 hours throughout the day.
Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Kiwiinkits Mon 29-May-17 09:38:56

Get them to set their own timers on the device; no more than an hour at a time. Not before school; not before homework is done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now