Talk

Advanced search

7 month old not rolling/sitting but standing

(13 Posts)
beccii161016 Wed 24-May-17 17:41:26

DS is almost 7 and a half months and I'm worried about his development. He doesn't roll all the way over, he rolls as far to the side as possible but just can't seem to push himself right over. What confuses me about this is that he actually rolled over on his own from his tummy to his back twice when he was 4 months old but has never done it since.
He also can't sit unassisted. I really thought he'd learned when he turned 7 months as he sat for a couple of minutes! However, after doing this once he has never done it again and flops completely over to either side or throws himself backwards.
He has tummy time but in lots of 5 minute spells during the day as he has always hated tummy time no matter what advice we have tried to change this. We have also tried using blankets and toys to help him roll and have "showed" him how to do it but, no success.
He can pull himself up to standing when holding your hands and can hold his own weight. If we stand him holding onto something (hands either side incase of a fall) he can do that quite happily.
I have mentioned this to my HV but she said they do a developmental check at 9/10 months anyway so not to worry until then. I was just wondering if anyone else's LO's were late in these milestones and how they progressed smile

tessiebear4 Wed 24-May-17 19:40:55

I don't think he's late. Some babies never roll. And sitting I think they say onsult the GP if not sitting by 9 months, which is some way off.

Polly2345 Wed 24-May-17 19:49:42

My LO could stand (holding our hands) long before she could roll. She used to pull herself up using our hands for support - it was initiated by her. None of what you're saying sounds late to me. I'd wait for the 9 month check - ours was really thorough.

Nottalotta Wed 24-May-17 19:54:13

They're all different. Ds1 didn't sit up.properly til he was 8-9 months. Pretty sure he could have done, he just didn't bother. He rolled around the floor instead. Didn't really crawl, just walked at 12 months. His friend, 3 weeks older, was sitting at 6 months and bum shuffling all over the place.

My massive 3.5 month old son has rolled onto his front and back again today, a good 2/3 months before his brother did.

Katsussex Wed 24-May-17 20:01:52

Hi, my eldest didn't crawl at all and didn't sit up until she was 10 months. She eventually developed into a bottom shuffler- at great speeds too! She eventually walked at 19 months!
I was concerned about 'late development' but as someone pointed out at the time, it will happen, she won't bottom shuffle to school.
My next child completely different and pulled herself up the stairs unaided at 7 months!! All so different!

pinkpantsrock Wed 24-May-17 20:08:18

my little boy didn't roll over till almost 8 months, but was standing and do everything else including trying to crawl, he was walking by 10 months, so i wouldn't worry, they all go at different speeds

beccii161016 Wed 24-May-17 20:09:00

Thank you for all of your replies!

I probably am worrying a little too soon to be honest. He's my first child and it seems like every other little one around him is developing more quickly which concerned me but you've all eased my mind! I will mention it to the HV if he's still a long way off by 9/10 months.

Nottalotta I'm with you on the "could do but can't be bothered"! I'm pretty sure he can but if anything is to much effort he's just like, "forget it" haha! He's just desperate to move and tummy time now consists of desperate flailing in an attempt to move rather than takin time to get into a position that will allow him to move! He just wants to skip some steps I think!

ButtMuncher Wed 24-May-17 20:11:52

My DS is 8.5 months and only mastered rolling about a month ago, followed by sitting unaided at around the same time. He's now pretty steady and can do so for 10 min + but it took what felt like forever - in reality he suddenly had a development leap and loads of things happened at once - babbling, rolling, rocking back and forth on his tummy etc.

Don't worry though, I know exactly how you feel - my son has always seemed to be on the later side of things and I swear it's because he's a bit lazy grin

mrsBeverleygoldberg Wed 24-May-17 20:13:33

Both dcs rolled once by accident and cried and never did it again.

podstick Wed 24-May-17 20:15:05

DS was like this, we were referred by the HV after 8.5 months when he still wasn't sitting by himself and two weeks later he got up and started cruising round the furniture. Don't worry about it, as long as you think he is OK he will do it when he's ready.

spacepoodle Wed 24-May-17 20:22:41

My DS is 8 months. He rolls all over the place and sort of crawls (backwards and sideways, not forwards!) but had only just mastered sitting up. He cannot stand properly even when supported, his legs bow. My friend's DS could sit earlier and is standing unsupported but will not go on his tummy or roll/crawl. I was crawling at 6 months, my DH apparently never crawled and just went straight into walking. It's so easy to worry but all babies do things at different times.

beccii161016 Wed 24-May-17 20:38:17

You've all reassured me so much! I'm a typical bloody google mom sometimes as well so when I see these: "should be doing this by x age" articles I obviously get stupidly concerned and I'm sure having anxiety helps the situation lots grin

He does actually babble a lot and is very vocal so it could just be that he is preferring his talking to his moving these days! We'll see! Either way I'm sure he'll be sitting at 14 whatever the case haha!

Nottalotta Wed 24-May-17 21:35:42

beccii ds1 is 22 months now and still doesn't speak really. Went through. Loooong stage of Mamma, mam, mum etc. Said dadda quite a bit, said a couple of other things after much prompting but nothing much now. I'm starting to worry a bit it's never-ending as he seems to have gone backwards. That said, I've had a second baby, and realised today that though I talk to ds1 ALL the time, and we read a lot, I don't try to encourage him to speak. He speaks his own little language and 'reads' aloud with his books so hoping it'll all fall into place soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now