Talk

Advanced search

Long naps and developmental leaps

(4 Posts)
ImogenTubbs Mon 22-May-17 23:21:35

Has anyone heard anything about additional sleep signifying a growth spurt or developmental leap in pre-schoolers?

I ask because DD, who is nearly 4 and usually doesn't nap, napped for four hours today. She just didn't want to wake up. And this evening we've had three 'new' behaviours - first was drawing a family picture - she usually gets v bored with drawing and ends up just scribbling everywhere, but this was clearly two adults and a child with the appropriate number of limbs and features; the second was asking some quite thoughtful questions about where food comes from; and the third was understanding and asking questions in a second language (we moved abroad recently and she has been slow to pick up the native language).

I am just fascinated and wondered if there might be any connection. Googling just turns up info about young babies.

Ferguson2 Tue 23-May-17 19:02:34

In our experience (thirty years ago), over-long naps could suggest sickness pending, but I guess it could also indicate an extra-active mental situation.

MuffinMaiden Tue 23-May-17 19:13:52

My DS is currently on his 4th hour of nap. If he wakes up and does something new I'll let you know grin

He's probably just sleeping off this illness we both have though...

ImogenTubbs Tue 23-May-17 22:35:25

Thank you. No sign of illness at the mo - for a change! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now