Talk

Advanced search

Separation Aniexty

(5 Posts)
KatEmThe Sun 21-May-17 20:19:54

I could really do with some tips or advice off mums who have had a similar experience.

My daughter is 14 months old and has always had seperation anxiety. She is okay to be with me, her Dad and her Nanna. That's as far as the list goes.

She has a problem going anywhere public like play centres, play groups, even a trip around Tesco. It's like she's afraid of people, it seems like a genuine fear if people try and talk to her. When we go for Sunday lunch with family and she see's her aunties etc she knows them and still cries at them and won't let them anywhere near her. She see's my sister daily and when I drop her there when I go to work once a week she is so upset.

There is more situations similar to what I have put but I would be here all day.

I just want to know how I can help her, it's horrible to see her so upset and it's very distressing for whoever is around, especially me and her Dad.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

loulocket Tue 30-May-17 22:34:16

I can totally identify with this! I have an 18 month old who is pretty much the same. Sadly I have no advice other than to tell you you aren't alone and I'm looking for the answers too!

KatEmThe Wed 31-May-17 00:34:49

It's hard work isn't it!

Does yours go to nursery or anything?

My parents keep on telling me to put her in but I couldn't bare the thought of it.

throwawaythekey Wed 31-May-17 11:22:37

My 7 month old is exactly the same! Was a shock as with my first she would go to anyone and even now is very sociable. I return to work in September and have booked her into s nursery where I go for settling in days so she gets used to the surroundings. DD is then assigned a key worker with a nursery worker she bonds with on the settling in days. Which to me sounds fantastic in reality I'll have to see how it plays out. I am very anxious though. Does your DC settle once at nursery or is she upset throughout her time there?

Newtothis11 Fri 02-Jun-17 05:35:24

Has DS always been like this?? Could you and the people she's comfortable with take her time different places for gradually increasing periods of time? and start at her pace eg. Go to a small local shop that's quiet for a few mins then build it up. Go to a quiet park where there are only a few children and again build it up to busier places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now