Talk

Advanced search

Why does baby cry with daddy?

(7 Posts)
Clumsymumsy22 Sun 21-May-17 19:32:45

My baby is currently 10 weeks old and for the last week she cried and screamed herself to sleep whenever he holds her, but she will stop as soon as he gives her to me. She's fine with me and even other people, but not daddy. She will smile at him etc when he's not holding her but this stops when he picks her up.

It's really getting him down and I feel bad for him. We've tried me cooking more so he can spend more time with her, he's done skin to skin, and I've left the house for short periods of time for him to look after her. But it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Della1 Sun 21-May-17 21:19:14

Are you breastfeeding?
If so, it's probably because your baby can smell your milk!

helenfagain Sun 21-May-17 21:25:06

My son was like this till about 6 months, then he became a complete daddy's boy and wasn't interested in me at all. He has recently switched back. Don't worry too much about it, I think it's pretty normal.

Crazylou Sun 21-May-17 21:29:58

My little one was similar when younger he's just turned 2, my partner took it hard as he was so desperate to help yet whenever he held him he just kept crying and screaming until I lifted him, he's more settled with his dad now, my little one just wanted his mummy all the time due to illnesses, I think it's a phase they go through, I never breastfed. The more my partner washed him etc he started bonding more with him it just takes time

Heirhelp Sun 21-May-17 21:30:25

There is a strong theory that very distressed babies don't cry with people they are uncomfortable with as a survival instinct. Your baby is very young and will want Mummy all time so perhaps he is comfortable enough with Dad to know that he is safe but is unhappy not to be with Mum.

beccii161016 Thu 25-May-17 20:28:06

Does your OH work? My son went through this phase at around the same age. If you're the one with her all day it's only natural that your the one she feels secure with. She will learn that her dad is a secure person too, soon but as of now, it's not you.
You're the one who feeds her all day, changes her nappy, goes to her when she cries. She's only been on this earth for 10 weeks and you're the only person she trusts right now.
Honestly, don't worry it will pass soon. It's a completely naturally baby phase!

Clumsymumsy22 Sat 27-May-17 14:04:37

Yeah he does work and we thought that was why. Things seem to be improving now that he's doing more with her in the evenings so there is hope xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now