Talk

Advanced search

16 month old only plays with one type of toy

(6 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Sat 20-May-17 18:06:14

Hi everyone,

My 16 month old son has lots of different toys, but all he ever wants to play with are his trains and cars. Is this usual? Anyone else got a toddler like this? He will be interested in colouring/stacking cups/his kitchen for a few minutes but then goes back to his trains. He does love books and pointing at all the pictures which can keep him occupied for ages, but other than that nothing seems to hold his attention.

Thanks

carrotcakecupcake Sat 20-May-17 18:53:27

Mine was like this - completely obsessed with any and all trains. The first time he saw Thomas the Tank Engine on TV (the original series) he had an almost primal reaction! (that was at 18 mos) He's now 3.5 and not quite so train oriented but will still have his cars out most days and is also getting into airplanes.

Blossomdeary Sat 20-May-17 18:56:09

Yes - trains today, dinosaurs in a few weeks, then snakes, then fire engines - all little ones obsess over things for a few weeks/months, then move on to the next thing.

Don't forget it is all new to them - and exciting - and they are entranced by one thing for a while.

Summerdays2014 Sun 21-May-17 09:19:59

Thank you. I'm a natural worrier and tend to over analyse everything!

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Sun 21-May-17 11:09:10

He sounds lovely and very very normal.

Nan0second Sun 21-May-17 11:12:52

Nearly 2 and it's all about the same 3 jigsaws... (and the crappy plastic pushchair and the scuttlebug!) as long as you introduce new things and play with them with him, it's normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now