Talk

Advanced search

I don't know what to do about nursery for DS, can anyone help put my mind at ease?

(7 Posts)
ppandj Thu 18-May-17 20:58:42

Ds1 has just turned 2 in April. We also had ds2 at the beginning of March so the times have been a-changing here recently. I have been umming and ahhing about when to start DS in nursery. I am on maternity leave and work evenings/nights so childcare is not an issue, but I feel that DS would benefit from more interaction with other kids and more stimulation than I can offer at home. I have found a local nursery where a friend's son goes that she really recommends. I just feel so nervous about it because his brother has only just arrived and I think he is very sensitive to it all. His behaviour has definitely started to be more challenging- all normal stuff for his age and he has a new sibling, so nothing alarming- and I am worried he feels a bit abandoned by me because I'm often with the baby now and not just him. I don't want him to feel even more abandoned. Is it just the wrong time? I had planned on starting him there in July possibly for just 2 afternoons per week. Please share any thoughts or experiences as I am quite unsure of it all!

soundsystem Fri 19-May-17 12:36:57

I think waiting a little while so he doesn't lInk it to the arrival of a new sibling is a good idea. If he's starting in July, presumably it's a private nursery (rather than preschool) and they tend to be quieter over Summer so could be good to ease him into it.

Good luck!

ppandj Fri 19-May-17 19:55:35

Thanks sound yes it is a private nursery that goes up to school age so I was planning on starting him for just a few hours per week then gradually increasing. I think I will go and have a proper look and talk my worries through with them to see what they say.

Newtothis11 Sat 20-May-17 02:01:05

Do you go to stay and play type groups with him? This would mean he gets to interact whilst you're still there and could be a stepping stone to him going to nursery. I think it's a good idea to look at the nursery idea as it'll mean more 1:1 with the new arrival. I guess it's the way in which you prep him for this that needs thinking about.

thethoughtfox Sat 20-May-17 08:41:53

All the parenting and child psychology books will tell you that there are no benefits to nursery until they are 3 or older.Perhaps consider toddler groups or playdates instead if it is just for social reasons.

ppandj Sun 21-May-17 10:24:16

Newtothis we go to Tumble n Twist (soft play/gymnastics type thing) twice per week. He does interact with the adults there really well but is quite nervous around the other kids.

Thoughtfox that's really interesting, I have been feeling quite guilty thinking that he is missing out a lot on the independence but possibly no need to. It would be really lovely to have regular 1:1 time with ds2 but I don't want to put ds1 through all the upheaval if it isn't actually helpful. I'm even more conflicted now.

Newtothis11 Sun 21-May-17 11:52:49

Why don't you stick with what you do at the moment help him to grow his confidence at the soft play and see where you are in a few more months. Maybe your 1:1 could come when DS is with dad or other family??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now