Talk

Advanced search

Late crawling. What age did your children crawl?

(18 Posts)
iluvgin Thu 18-May-17 19:51:14

Hi everyone

My 11 month old isn't crawling yet, she isn't bum shuffling or pulling to stand and isn't able to sit up from lying down.
She will stand holding on to something if I place her there but only if she is in the right mood.
She seems to be quite hyper mobile and I'm wondering if that is the issue.

I'm particularly interested to hear about any late crawlers, walkers etc and what age they started.

Starting to feel a bit down about it as it just feels like she will be left behind by her peers.

Thanks

CluelessButTrying Thu 18-May-17 20:25:33

I used to worry about this with my DD so much when she seemed to be miles behind her little friends... not rolling over, nor able to sit up from lying, let alone crawl or pull to stand at 10/11 months. She did like being put on her feet just to stand up, so I let her do this as often as she wanted. She then broke all the 'rules' and started walking at 11 months, but still couldn't get herself up from any starting position, I just had to stand her up and off she went. This then caused a lot of frustration from her point when I wasn't there to immediately set her on her feet again. She didn't start crawling until she's turned 13 months and once she worked that out the rest followed soon after.

I worried so much about her being left behind that I think I pushed too much and she missed out on learning important skills to help her mobility. In hind sight, I wish I'd just left her to find her own way in her own time. It's really frustrating when people keep telling you that they will get there when they're ready, but it really is true, by 18 months, they all seem to level out and be able to do the same things. I'm sure there is nothing wrong and DC is just taking their time, but what makes you worry about hypermobility?

iluvgin Thu 18-May-17 20:33:23

Thank you for your reply.
It definitely helps to hear stories like that.
I know that I need to stop stressing and hopefully in 6 months I'll look back and wonder why it upset me so much but difficult not to worry when all her little friends are on the move.
With regards to the hyper mobility, I'm medically qualified (although not paeds) so I'm pretty sure she does have it to a degree in her lower limbs and shoulders. Being a doctor certainly doesn't help with things like this as I find it so hard to think rationally when it comes to my own child!

Welikethemoon Thu 18-May-17 21:05:48

When we went to the 10 month check the HV was very concerned that my dd did not roll over, crawl or sit up from laying down or pull up. If put on her tummy she just screamed the house down. We were sent to physio where we persuaded dd to at least spend a bit of time on her tummy and roll over occasionally by her first birthday. Shortly after her first birthday she walked. And literally days after that she began crawling as well. She is 2 now and although still doesn't have amazing upper body strength, she is developing normally. Apparently I did exactly the same at her age. I would take advice from HV but don't worry too much at this stage. It can all just happen very quickly.

juniorcakeoff Thu 18-May-17 21:28:38

Doctors look at weightbearing/pulling to stand more closely than crawling. However some health visitors theink crawling helps develop fine motor skills as they are reaching for things. My latest crawling child (crawled on first birthday and even then it was weird with just his arms) was delayed in other areas, but I know other late crawling babies who weren't.

MaeMobley Thu 18-May-17 21:29:47

DS started crawling the day after his first birthday.

Mountainscalling Thu 18-May-17 22:35:49

DD didn't crawl until the day before her first birthday and didn't walk until 17 months. Developed perfectly normally just on the late side!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 18-May-17 22:38:50

DS crawled at 10 months, but it started with sliding himself along the laminate floor with his socks and trousers off. Was a couple of weeks later that he started properly crawling on hands and knees. He walked unaided at 16 months, though not confidently until 18-20 months.

He's just had his 27 month review and has shown to be behind in gross motor skills (jumping, running, climbing stairs individually, etc) but ahead in fine motor skills and communication. He will catch up, but a lot of his peers had a 3 month head-start on him.

He was a great big dumpling of a baby so it wasn't a huge surprise that it took him a while to support his own weight.

iluvgin Fri 19-May-17 07:17:19

Thank you all for replying smile

chunkychicken1 Fri 19-May-17 08:40:31

My DD was abut hyper mobile too OP. While she rolled v early and sat/crawled bang on time, she just wasn't interested in bearing any weight on her legs until she was about 16 months. She finally walked at about 22 months and now at 3 you can't stop her 😊 I found the whole thing incredibly stressful at the time, so I really sympathise x

ilovevenice Fri 19-May-17 08:52:10

We are a family of late walkers - none of mine crawled until they were over 1 (one was 14 months, and then walked at 18 months). But my youngest has a genetic condition/low muscle tone/macrocephaly (ie a large head) and didn't walk until 27 months, and the difference in his development was very marked early on (so I knew there was something wrong rather than him just being late developer). Even though his gross motor skills are still slightly delayed, he walks/runs around with all his friends though - he's 6.
What I'm trying to say, though rambling, is not too panic purely on ages babies do things, but also to trust your instinct if you feel he could do with a bit of help - it's v common. By the time the physio referral comes through, he'll probably be off!

kel1493 Fri 19-May-17 09:23:59

My little boy didn't crawl until he was 10 months. He wasn't walking until he was 17 months. (He was born with 12 toes and extra digits on his hands, so we thought that may be part of the reason, particularly his toes). Also he wasn't sitting up until quite late as well.
He would try so hard, and it was clear he wanted to do it. But once he started he didn't stop at all.
People (professionals) kept telling me not to worry about it, but I wasn't really, as all children develop at their own pace. I know it's hard but she will get there when she's ready

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-May-17 09:28:02

Mine didn't crawl until the week before his first birthday - went from nothing (not even rolling around to get somewhere) to high speed instantly. He only crawled for 4 weeks when he got up and walked.

Miakaru Fri 19-May-17 11:55:52

I didn't walk until I was almost a year and half. Make sure to get her hips checked.
I had hips that were turned in from the time I was in the womb, because of it I was unable to get my feet and legs underneath me correctly to keep balance.
When I had my son I was very concerned that he may have the same thing, but the doctor assured me he was fine and said it's more common for girls than boys.

iluvgin Fri 19-May-17 15:01:37

Thanks everyone!
Hopefully like you say she will just surprise me one day!
She had a hip scan when she was a few weeks old and that was normal so at least that's excluded.

OrangeJulius Fri 19-May-17 15:34:42

DD had her check up with the HV at 11 months, and she referred us to the GP, who referred us to the paediatrician. This was because DD did not roll, or crawl, or catch herself when she fell. Paed thought she was fine and she would get there in her own time.

She crawled the week after her first birthday. She is 16 months now, and just starting to take her first independent steps.

HolditFinger Fri 19-May-17 15:37:24

Mine never crawled at all and only bum-shuffled when she was just over a year. Didn't walk until she was two either. She's fine now at nearly 4. They all get there eventually!

tinypop4 Sat 20-May-17 15:15:28

My da didn't crawl till after he could walk - at 15 months. In the run up to walking he bum shuffled (from 11 months), eventually pulled up somewhere between 12-13 months then walked. He learnt to crawl after all this at about 16 months! They're all different and contrary to the milestone charts that google will throw at you, progression looks different in a lot of dc. I shouldn't worry, especially if your dc can bear weight on legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now