Talk

Advanced search

Support thread for parents who find school hard!

(10 Posts)
Maggie2828 Mon 15-May-17 18:11:52

There is a commonly expressed sense of relief when kids go back to school after the holidays. I am the opposite. I greet my DSs holidays with the most profound relief!

I hate school! I hate the pressure of the school run, the timings and the gauntlet of other mums in the playground. I hate the feeling of sadness I get every time I go there. I hate bullying my primary age kids every night to do homework when they've spent all day doing school work. I hate the fact that my dyslexic 9yo will be judged as under achieving if he doesn't know all his tables off by heart by the end of the year, and that he gets marked down for using his imagination in his science report. I hate the ugly school uniform and the dozens of emails, forms and letters every week. I hate the fact that their playground has no trees in it, and the crap pictures in bloody biff, chip and kipper.

My kids are ok. They don't exactly like school but aren't exactly miserable there either and seem happy socially. I am careful not to communicate my dislike of school to them. It's more about me!

Does this resonate with anyone?

Iloveanimals Mon 15-May-17 22:35:56

Homeschool?

Maggie2828 Mon 15-May-17 23:31:26

Sadly I work four days a week - a financial necessity - so homeschool isn't an option.

user1491572121 Mon 15-May-17 23:50:25

OP says her kids are ok at school...people can't homeschool for their own convenience!

OP I am the same. I've always had trouble fitting into any institution though. I can't bear it to be honest and never could.

My DC luckily aren't the same.

How old are yours? It does get easier....my eldest is almost 13 and once they are that age, they manage themselves more or less.

Iloveanimals Tue 16-May-17 06:48:03

She said they don't exactly like school hmm

MaisyPops Tue 16-May-17 06:53:31

Some things I hear you.
I'm a teacher and me abd DH have considered one of us taking a career break and home schooling instead of KS1 but we'll see what the situation is like then.

But hating how he can't use imagination in a science report isn't about stifling him. It's part of learning to write reports. They are factual not creative. If his teacher was letting him be all creative with it then he's not be learning different types of writing require different styles.

par05 Tue 16-May-17 07:02:16

I agree with you, I feel same! Hate the morning rush, and the pick up, and it feels like they forever doing homework! Homeschooling not an option as work and single parent.

Maggie2828 Tue 16-May-17 20:58:10

Maisy, I get it about the science report, it's just that getting him to write anything is a struggle so it's hard when he obviously has made a big effort and is told he's done it wrong!

DS s are 9 and 6.

MaisyPops Tue 16-May-17 22:18:25

Ah right.
If he really struggles to write anything I can see why that would be demotivating. I thought you meant that you wanted him to write creative reports just because.

There's quite a bit of school stuff that I look at and think I wouldn't want that for my child. Nonsense words testing in ks1 being one of them. I'd also love it if formal schooling started later too.

lessthanBeau Sun 21-May-17 09:40:15

I am the same, my DC loves school, but I hate the routine and the restrictions on our lives. I'm always on a countdown to each holiday. Five more days and then half term yippee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now