Talk

Advanced search

Son's development - 3 year old

(4 Posts)
cmo1 Mon 15-May-17 14:32:44

Hi Mumsnetters

My first ever post and wondering if you can give me the benefit of your wisdom.

DS is 3 years and 2 months is a lovely kid and an only child. He's inquisitive, engaged, friendly, likes his own way most of the time and prefers talking to adults mostly. His nursery seems to think he is a year behind on his social development, forming simple sentences etc.

My other half and I are far from the types who thinks our son is a "genius" but he seems to be a different child at home than he is in nursery. The nursery brought a SENCO in who made a few obvs but nothing to worry about (most of which we still scratched our heads at) as he's so switched on at home. Its making me very anxious as though i'm missing something with his development, but I dont think I am. Its starting to concern me more that the nursery are spread too thinly and are not observing him correctly.

Any advice?
Thank you.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-May-17 18:13:16

Is he saying simple sentences at home? Has he met most of these milestones. I must admit that my DD only started properly speaking at 3 but when she did in was in long clear aectences. Odd child but I suppose they're all different.

Witchend Mon 15-May-17 18:33:33

It's most likely that he is different in nursery-many children are different at school. It's very different when they're there as a one-2-one with a parent.
Prefers talking to an adult can be a (small) red flag in social development. The reason behind this is that adults make more adjustments for the child, so the child doesn't learn to make social changes that they need to get on with other people. I've a dc like that and now she's teenage, I wish it had been picked up on at nursery and her helped through it, rather than it just being accepted that was who she preferred to be with. She's much better now, but that help at nursery age would have saved a lot of stress.

I very much doubt that the nursery aren't observing correctly-that would mean much more likely that they'd miss an issue than see one that isn't there.

ac130overurhead Mon 15-May-17 18:34:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now