Talk

Advanced search

Trying to get a routine when wake up times vary

(2 Posts)
Firsttimer16 Mon 15-May-17 10:11:20

I have just switched over from breastfeeding to predominantly formula feeding my 4 1/2 month old baby as I was having a lot of issues with my supply and she wasn't gaining weight. I am so used to the flexibility of breastfeeding, that I'm finding formula a bit overwhelming having to be organised!

My baby's sleep is really erratic at the moment (she slept through for about 8 weeks from 6 weeks - but long gone are those days!). She will wake for the day any time between 5-7am (depending on how many times she's woken at night) and v occasionally on terrible nights 4:30am, and not able to get her back to sleep after). I am really struggling to know when to give feeds.

We always do bedtime bottle at 7pm, and she takes 9 ounces. If she wakes at 5am, her napping and feeding are going to be so out from a 7am wake up - so I don't know how to manage this.

How do other FF parents manage a routine for a 4/5 month old? How much is your lo eating? Do I just hold her off til 7am if she wakes at 5?

Any advice greatfully received.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-May-17 18:24:38

When she wakes early, have you tried giving her a bottle and seeing if she'll go back to sleep?

If she sleeps to 7am, I'd feed and change her and take her out in the garden. I'd do this at 7am each day so that she gets used to 7am being interesting and gets daylight which has been proved to aid sleep.

Ask Moxie has some tips on early waking and there are some in the the No Cry Sleep Solution.

How are her naps in the day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now