Talk

Advanced search

worried about autistic signs

(3 Posts)
user1494750256 Sun 14-May-17 11:38:10

Hi, my 20 month old is worrying me. He isn't talking yet (says nana for banana, and mama, and ilk (for milk) but thats it. He has only just stopped crying when strangers or indeed his grandparents speak or look at him. I work one day a week and when I come home he sees me but doesn't come up to me. He will eventually. He loves his brother very much and hugs him and he is, at times, affectionate with my husband and myself. He is now lining up his toys in lines. Am I right to be a little concerned? Your help gratefully received. x

differentnameforthis Sun 14-May-17 11:48:27

I am no expert, my dd has only just been diagnosed (8), but if you do have concerns, please talk to your dr and don't let them fob you off.

Hopefully someone will be along to help a little more than I have smile soon, in the mean time flowers

FrayedHem Sun 14-May-17 13:18:18

If you have concerns it's always best to get them checked out. What is his communication like, does he follow instructions/bring you thing to share/how does he express when he wants something? If you're concerned about autism, have you look at the M-Chat Questionnaire at all?

You should be able to self-refer to Speech and Language Therapy, some areas have drop-in clinics, others you contact the department and make a referral that way. It's probably worth taking him to the GP and asking for a hearing test and if you want to consider further assessment a referral to a paediatrician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now