Talk

Advanced search

Ffs just stay in bed and go to sleep

(8 Posts)
Cocopopsrule Wed 10-May-17 23:53:51

Dd will be 3 soon. Her teeth seemed to be going a bit crooked so we had a visit from the dummy fairy. Only 1 night of crying. But every night she's jumping out of bed until 10pm. We can get her to stay in bed by lying with her. But it's over 2 hours and she's not sleeping. And we have no evening.

DH wants to give her the dummy back. We've tried back to bed - her stamina is incredible. Star chart - fail. Only allowing her to fall asleep in our bed after cuddling us then transferring her has worked. How long should we stick it out?

NuffSaidSam Thu 11-May-17 22:14:31

Stay strong on the dummy front.

Go back to the back to bed technique, make sure you're doing it properly and stick with it.

Remember that in round one, she won. Her will was stronger than yours, so it will take longer this time because she knows she can break you. Regroup, stay strong and it will work!

How long did you stick with it before giving in?

Cocopopsrule Thu 11-May-17 23:14:55

Thanks nuffsaid for the encouragement. tonight DH lay with her in her bed for an hour from 8 to 9pm. No joy. So I took over with back to bed for 45 minutes. It eventually worked. She screamed and cried blue murder though once she realised I was going to stay firm. Now she's whimpering having woken up and I'm praying she manages to settle down again. Tomorrow we're going to start with back to bed.

Cocopopsrule Thu 11-May-17 23:16:18

I mean start as in no laying with her for more than normal bedtime cuddle.

Crumbs1 Thu 11-May-17 23:36:16

Stop laying with her. Just tell her to go to sleep.

TittyGolightly Thu 11-May-17 23:38:06

She's a tiny child trying to make sense of the world, not a toy that can be controlled with an off switch.

Sylvannas Thu 11-May-17 23:43:49

My nephew just had his dummy taken away. He was happy to do it as the "dummy fairy" came and took it away and left a present for him under his pillow.she did it while explaining that he's a bigger boy now and when boys get bigger their dummies are no longer needed so they get taken and given to babies who need them more.

Would something like that work with your LO? My DS won't take a dummy but if he ever does that's my plan to get him to understand that hes out grown it.

Cocopopsrule Sun 14-May-17 21:36:10

sylvannas yes that is what we did. And yet. Here we are again. 10.30pm local time and she's still awake. I did back to bed until 9.30pm - so for 1.5 hours. How can it last this long? We're broken again and DD is on our bed so I can prepare for the week ahead mumsnet and DH can also have some peace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now