Talk

Advanced search

My 4 month old half sister cried when she saw me today!

(6 Posts)
user1492387365 Wed 10-May-17 22:19:20

Okay so I said hello to her when she was with my step mum and she smiled. Then later on she was in her baby gym and I went up to her and gave her some attention and then suddenly her lips started quivering whilst looking right at me and started crying!! She did it like twice as well ! I felt a bit taken back that she did cos she never usually does this😂I mean I went to my mums for a week so is it because she hasn't seen me for a while and didn't recognize who I was ?

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 10-May-17 22:20:51

It's just what babies do

catkind Wed 10-May-17 22:24:53

Perhaps she was hoping for her mum. Or she had tummy ache. Or she was thinking about doing a poo. Or she was hungry. Or she wanted you to pick her up and you didn't. Or she didn't want you to pick her up and she thought you might. 4 months can be getting into separation anxiety time. I couldn't always work out why my 4 month olds were crying, let alone anyone else's, I wouldn't take it personally!

Mind you DS at a bit over 1 year did rather embarrassingly start crying the moment he saw one particular friend. We think he was scared of his beard - you don't have an alarming beard do you? wink

Monkeyinshoes Wed 10-May-17 22:25:53

My youngest did this whenever he saw his great grandma, absolutely crying his eyes out at the sight of her. He stopped when he was about six months, finally we were able to get a picture of her holding him!

Youvegotafriendinme Mon 15-May-17 01:22:18

My 5mo DS didn't like his nana (mil) until a couple of weeks ago. Used to scream the down and the poor lady couldn't even look at him let alone hold him. He currently doesn't like one of my sis. It's what babies do.

peukpokicuzo Mon 15-May-17 05:11:18

Babies of that age don't really have "thoughts" - they don't even understand the concept of personhood - ie that they are an individual and that other people they see are also individuals. Don't take it personally. The baby wasn't crying because of you, crying is just what baby's do. It doesn't necessarily even mean they are unhappy.

Give your sister love and cuddles (and time off from cuddles when she's tired - sometimes she won't be in the mood for cuddles) unconditionally. Don't blame her for anything - she will pee and poo and barf on whoever is in range when she needs to, she will scream the house down when she needs to as she has absolutely no concept of being considerate of other people's feelings. Just love her. You were the same when you were a baby and you grew out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now