Talk

Advanced search

3 year old hitting, at wits end

(3 Posts)
Kirstymlw Wed 10-May-17 16:52:25

Sorry if this is a common thread but i'm looking for advice on dealing with my 3yo who is hitting. He started nursery just after Easter and i've been told he's been hitting other kids but also the nursery teacher sometimes when she intervenes. We give him a 3 minute time out at home if he does it but at home it seemed to coincide with him being hungry/thirsty/tired etc however today at nursery i've been told he calmly hit another kid for no reason whatsoever. Then when he came home he hit me and when putting him i timeout he continued hitting me, calmly like he was trying to get a reaction from me. After a while he did eventually calm down but im at my wits end. Instead of getting better it seems to be getting worse. I also have a 3 month old baby so struggle to give him attention when have to deal with my 3yo. Any advice?? Should i persevere longer with timeout in the hope it works eventually (been doing it for about 4/5 weeks so far)??

laura6032 Sat 13-May-17 11:23:54

Been going through a similar thing with my 3.5 year old, consistency is key, time outs, as calmly and quietly as you can, take him sit him there, simply say hitting hurts, no hitting, no other attention at all. I think I used to get so annoyed and angry when he hit that it wound Him up more and he hit out more, the calmer I am the calmer he is.

Your wee one is adjusting to some monumental changes, a new sibling and nursery, their only little and aggression is a perfectly normal way to react when their unsure.

Over praise the good behavior, ignore the annoying behaviour and time outside for aggressive, be consistent, it might take few weeks but it will make a difference xxx

laura6032 Sat 13-May-17 11:26:08

Time out, not outside 😁 but suppose plenty of outdoor time too xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now