Talk

Advanced search

Eye contact and tracking

(7 Posts)
Worried0266 Wed 10-May-17 15:18:38

Hello,

I'm a bit concerned about my 10 week old baby. He's very smiley which is lovely, especially on his changing mat or in his moses basket. He appears to be making eye contact when he's in these places. However when he's being held upright he will do anything to avoid making eye contact with us and it's starting to worry me. Also he doesn't track an object or light when sitting or lying. Should I be concerned?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 13-May-17 19:24:37

Could you talk to your HV? It's probably nothing but I'd ask.

Worried0266 Mon 15-May-17 11:06:32

Thanks, I will.

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Mon 15-May-17 16:39:53

Tiny babies can avoid eye contact when tired. Might it be that?

Blossom789 Mon 15-May-17 21:39:43

Sounds like he's doing well, it's probably easier for him to focus on things when lying down. When he's on your shoulder he's got to concentrate on holding his head too.

When he's in a playful mood lying down you can try him with objects, don't wave them around just hold still and see if he can start to focus. Apparently if you wave them they see it as lots of different objects (according to the wonder weeks). I have a great book- baby's first skills which gives play ideas each month helps me think about ways To encourage development without doing things beyond his reach.

Try not to worry, every baby is different and has different likes and strengths. My DS is now 17 weeks, he loves music and noisy objects - when he was starting to follow things he did so much better when it made a noise. Enjoy the things he is showing interest in and the other bits will come. In a few more weeks he'll really start looking at you. My DS does it now (17 weeks) when feeding he'll pause look up and smile, it's lovely.

Worried0266 Tue 16-May-17 02:00:56

Thanks for your replies! We've started going to a music sensory type class which does a bit of tracking exercises as part of the class so we're working on it there as well as at home. He's not awake very much of the day though so tricky to find time where he's not feeding, tired or sleeping! He does like to stop feeding and beam up at me, as you say, really lovely! Will carry on with what I'm doing and mention it to the health visitor next time I have him weighed.

Blossom789 Tue 16-May-17 04:13:04

Try not to worry - hard not to though I know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now