Talk

Advanced search

Baby behaviour

(23 Posts)
Mummy274 Sun 07-May-17 10:48:45

I have a 3 month old little boy that's suddenly started having major meltdowns that go on all day.He sometimes used to have them early evening which we put down to colic & being over tired but now we do not have a clue.Anyone else experience this behaviour.
He also will only go in his pram if he's due a nap & even then it's a battle.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 07-May-17 21:09:40

When you say he's having meltdowns that go on all day, what's going on exactly?

How is he with things like feeding? Is he meetings his milestones?

Ecureuil Sun 07-May-17 21:11:50

Do you mean he's crying a lot?
How is his feeding/sleeping/naps?

Quodlibet Sun 07-May-17 23:28:35

Mine hated the pram at that age too - he would only sleep in the sling and mainly wanted to be carried around all day.
Is the crying constant or in response to triggers or when you put him down? How many hours a day is he crying? It may be worth a trip to the GP if he is crying for long periods each day.
Could be a cows milk protein allergy??

Mummy274 Mon 08-May-17 06:07:14

He was crying uncontrollably on Saturday & wouldn't drink his milk,finally calmed down at 8pm.Yesterday was a great day though,he was really chilled out.Every day is do different.He doesn't sleep that much during the day & just likes to be held during the day.

LapinR0se Mon 08-May-17 06:17:22

He sounds desperately overtired. At 3 months he should be asleep a lot more than he is awake. Can you tell us more about his feeding and routine?

Mummy274 Mon 08-May-17 06:40:27

He feeds every 3 hours sometimes a little less.He's breast & formula fed.Friday night he slept through the night but then Saturday he was crying all day & wouldn't feed.

LapinR0se Mon 08-May-17 07:06:22

There's a wee typo there, is he combination fed?

Ecureuil Mon 08-May-17 07:18:09

Sounds like he needs more daytime sleep. Mine weren't great daytime sleepers but did have a short nap every 1.5-2 hours at that stage (probably for about 40 mins).

Mummy274 Mon 08-May-17 07:56:44

Yes he's combination fed & definitely needs more sleep during the day.He's very alert & wants to see what's going on.

LapinR0se Mon 08-May-17 10:14:58

At 3 months he should have max one hour awake time. The alertness is already a sign of overtiredness.

Mummy274 Mon 08-May-17 10:23:43

Some days are definitely better than others with sleep but sometimes he just won't nap.

greeeen Mon 08-May-17 12:45:05

What's your routine/tactics for getting him to nap in the day? I had an alert baby that fought sleep and at 3 months she would only nap in her hammock in a dark ish room with fairly loud background noise. Sometimes it was over an hour of rocking/feeding/ rocking for a 30mins sleep.

Mummy274 Mon 08-May-17 13:42:50

If he's fed then you can usually tell if he's ready for a nap.He falls asleep on me but now we've started to put him down in his bed.Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't.He's started having cranial osteopathy as he's happier being upright to sleep.

silkpyjamasallday Mon 08-May-17 14:53:47

Sounds like he is majorly overtired. Have you tried taking him to bed with you for a nap, bf lying down next to him and waiting for him to drop off? This was the only way to get dd to nap at that age. You can't leave him crying for that long, and he shouldn't be going that long between feeds, and if hysterical may not be eating enough each sitting.

You say he is crying all day, do you mean non stop? Or just mostly crying when awake? Is he crying after feeds or seems in pain? Is there a difference in how he behaves after bf or after ff?
.Have you got a sling? If he is getting hysterical you need to be able to calm him down, what have you actually tried so far?

Slumberparty Tue 09-May-17 07:17:14

I have a 5 month old and have found that she naps best if I can get her in her cot at the exact right moment - if she's already fallen asleep on me then it's too late as she'll wake as I put her down and then is very hard to re-settle. If I put her down to nap when she's too alert then again she is hard to settle. The perfect time is when I see these signs: her starting to 'zone-out' a bit, rubbing her eyes, starting to complain a little. If I put her down then she may winge for about 30 seconds then she's out like a light!
Do you notice any similar sleepy signs?

Slumberparty Tue 09-May-17 07:19:00

Forgot to add I also play 'rain' sound effects to help her sleep.

Mummy274 Tue 09-May-17 07:46:16

I have started spotting the signs of when he's tired.He's getting better at going down in the evening we just need to work more on during the day.Yesterday he had a few good naps so we will continue to work on this.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 09-May-17 18:43:38

Glad you had a better day. How's today been?

Mummy274 Tue 09-May-17 19:28:57

We've had a great day.Nap this morning & over 2hrs after lunch.Very happy little boy & mummy.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 09-May-17 19:57:53

Oh I'm so pleased smile

LapinR0se Tue 09-May-17 20:27:08

Yipee! Great news

Mummy274 Wed 10-May-17 00:43:43

I would definitely rate cranial osteopathy 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now