Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please help me get my children to be quiet in the morning

(50 Posts)
mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 09:04:05

We love in a semi detached house. My children are so noisy we moved to this house from a terrace so they could have a room each. Every morning they wake up, go into one room and play loudly. Every day for years I am woken at 6am . My neighbour is woken and I'm so embarrassed about that. Threats (which I follow through) don't work. Keeping them up late doesn't work. Talking to them doesn't work. They are nearly 8, what more can I do? Expectation is they read or play quietly in their rooms until 7:30, with going to the toilet allowed.

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:22:01

Anyone?

Gizlotsmum Sun 07-May-17 10:23:29

Sorry same issue. We try to remind them about inside voices but they are still loud!

Josieannathe2nd Sun 07-May-17 10:24:45

I think for a while you need to get up with them, sit in their room & supervise them doing quiet activities until they learn. Maybe be realistic by starting with 20 mins then building up. I'm not sure that any children will ever play quietly by themselves for 90 minutes though!

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:24:56

I guess at least I'm not alone. It's driving me slowly crazy. At their age I would wake early and read a book or quietly watch tv downstairs but they are incapable of either

Wolfiefan Sun 07-May-17 10:25:07

Change the "threats". At that age you should expect them to do as they are asked.
Get up with them to ensure quiet. Don't leave them to wake the neighbours. confused

juneau Sun 07-May-17 10:25:39

I'd lose my shit completely if my kids did this. Even my 5-year-old knows to be quiet in the morning. Waking the neighbours at 6am every day is completely unacceptable. I'd be taking away things they really care about until the message strikes home, if it were me.

juneau Sun 07-May-17 10:26:43

Perhaps take them downstairs too. Is there a room away from the party wall where they could go and do something quiet every morning?

thepatchworkcat Sun 07-May-17 10:27:30

"Threats (which I don't follow through)" might be part of your problem. If you say there will be a consequence, then it needs to happen or they just won't take you seriously.

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:28:22

We get up with them when they are being noisy, but I can guarantee that as soon as they have woken me they have woken the neighbour's as well! What threats would work? We take away computer and screen time, their favourite toys etc but they don't seem to be able to be quiet. Trying to discipline then in the morning makes them shout louder at us. If I say be quiet they shout at me. I'm running out of options.

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:29:12

The patchworkcat please read op. I follow up every threat. I don't make false threats ever.

CiderwithBuda Sun 07-May-17 10:30:52

Thepatchworkcat - op says she does follow through!

Op - I would get up with them for a bit and let them watch tv quietly. I'd sit with a cuppa and a book. Any noise they go back to bed. Their own bed in their own room door shut. They are definitely old enough to understand they need to be quiet in the mornings,

KnockMeDown Sun 07-May-17 10:37:37

What are they actually doing that is so noisy? Are they this noisy all the time, or are there activities that they are able to do quietly? And perhaps getting them to stay in their own rooms until a certain time could work?

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:41:49

Knockmedown please let me know how I keep them in there own rooms? They have been told every night to stay in their own rooms but apparently they get lonely. We moved house so they could have a room each. They seem to think playing guitar is football is a great 6am game. They have beeb told every night reading or playing Lego or cars alone are good early morning games. I have male twin boys that are the best of friends and the worst of enemies at the same time.

KnockMeDown Sun 07-May-17 10:47:42

Have you tried taking the guitar and the football away? How do you discipline them on other matters? But at the end of the day (or the start lol ) you are the adult and need to police and enforce what you say.

KnockMeDown Sun 07-May-17 10:50:21

And if they are lonely then they get a choice, play quietly together, or back to their own rooms. At their age they should be following instructions like that without question!

mailfuckoff Sun 07-May-17 10:52:50

Guitar taken away. Football was a teddy bear. I am the parent and my children are disciplined but I was looking for other options. How do you discipline children that don't care about stuff or future events and have no self control?

Empireoftheclouds Sun 07-May-17 10:54:58

They seem to think playing guitar is football is a great 6am game. perhaps if you got up with them this would eliminate the possibility of them playing guitar at 6am.

Your children must be damn loud to wake the neighbours; they are out of control because they have been left without parental supervision.

Just get out of bed, it really is that simple.

Empireoftheclouds Sun 07-May-17 10:55:45

Your children don't need discipline, they need structure and supervision

coolaschmoola Sun 07-May-17 11:02:08

It really is a case of if your children cannot be trusted to behave then it's your responsibility, as the parent, to get up! 6am IS morning.

I get up at 6am every day to get ready for work and my child ready to drop at the childminder. Most of my friends and colleagues do the same. 6am is not the middle of the night.

RosesTulipsDaffodils Sun 07-May-17 11:03:43

How about creating an "activity basket" next to their beds with activities to do in the morning. I did this for a while and it worked well. I just put in there different sets of coloring things, sticker books etc (it was all things they already had but when I put 3-4 things in the basket next to their bed, it was more obvious and attractive for them to play with).

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 07-May-17 11:10:33

Why aren't you getting up at the same time as them and supervising them from the off? Surely that would be the start of getting some control back.

juneau Sun 07-May-17 11:31:27

At 8-years-old they really should be able to understand WHY they need to be considerate. Do you have behavioural worries about them more generally, because I'm shocked that they don't seem to understand why it's wrong and selfish and inconsiderate to wake others - and I include you AND your poor neighbours in this. A baby has no self-awareness, but a pair of 8-year-olds really should.

juneau Sun 07-May-17 11:32:14

And I agree - if they're getting up at 6 - you and your DH should take it in turns to get up before they do so you can prevent this noisy play before it starts.

thepatchworkcat Sun 07-May-17 11:34:32

Apologies I misread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now