Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety

(6 Posts)
GlitteryFluff Sat 06-May-17 20:47:33

DS is 3 in a few months
He has a complete meltdown when his nan has to leave or we have to leave her house. Screaming, kicking, climbing at windows, banging at the door, crying, sobbing. Literally uncontrollable - I cannot soothe him.
The kicking and screaming calms within say 5 - 10 mins but the sobbing, crying and then general unhappiness lasts for sometimes a few hours. He'll basically be a stroppy teenager for a few hours after.

I've explained nanny has to go to her house and we'll see her X day (she looks after ds 2 afternoons a week so it's regular contact) but I don't think he understands. He's slightly speech delayed and seeing speech and language, paediatricians etc. Though his understanding is usually really good so he might understand but just not be pleased about it.

She just says she has to go, gives him a kiss and cuddle and says bye and walks out. He starts this as soon as she says she has to go now.

Any ideas what I can do? It's awful seeing him so upset and not being able to calm him.

GlitteryFluff Sun 07-May-17 11:25:06

Shameless bump

GlitteryFluff Mon 08-May-17 21:07:00

Bump again.

GlitteryFluff Wed 17-May-17 22:32:01

Last bump:

PeanutJuice Fri 19-May-17 22:15:21

Is he like it with anyone else?

Rubyslippers7780 Fri 19-May-17 22:17:24

Do you give him warnings? Like...'remember Gran is going home soon'? Then in 5 minutes asking him to help find gran's coat as she is going to her house in 10 minutes etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now