Talk

Advanced search

18 month old understanding

(5 Posts)
tessiebear4 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:12:22

18 month old DS understands pretty much everything in day to day conversation, but can't really point out many things in books. So if I say to him "where's teddy?" he'll go and get one, but if I ask him where the teddy is in a book he just points to anything. Is this normal?! He can follow instructions etc.

MyschoolMyrules Wed 26-Apr-17 21:17:58

There is a difference between a real object i.e. Teddy and an image of a teddy and some children take longer to make that link. As a childminder, I obviously offer fruit to identify (say apple, banana, orange); I have plastic ones to play with, and I have also printed and laminated photos of the fruit so that children can learn to identify them on a piece of paper. It helps them make the mental link between the object and a representation of an object.

tessiebear4 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:19:38

Oh really, that's fascinating! I didn't think about it like that.

buckyou Thu 27-Apr-17 08:04:33

This table is really useful / interesting;

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6472/milestone-chart-19-to-24-months

Says it's an advanced skill for a 19 month old to be able to point to a cat or a dog in a book when you say the word, where as says they should know the words well before this.

tessiebear4 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:52:14

That's really helpful, thanks. Yes, he can point at a real dog and say "dodo" so that's interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now