Talk

Advanced search

10 weeks, minimal eye contact

(5 Posts)
user1493039269 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:32:35

I'm really worried about my son. He's 10.5 weeks old and rarely makes eye contact with either me or my partner. He looks everywhere but us and will avoid my eye contact if possible. He does smile at us sometimes (and the wall, boob, sofa a lot of the time) and is pretty vocal. We are always trying to engage with him (silly voices, games, cuddles, singing, toys etc), but nothing seems to work. He has never really stared at faces, I have to say. He hasn't found his hands yet, doesn't track me around the room and doesn't turn to the sound of my voice.

Has anyone else been through this?

HurricaneHalle Mon 24-Apr-17 20:24:54

Call your HV. That would be my first port of call. Maybe he/she needs a hearing test redone?

Twinmumum Sat 29-Apr-17 19:19:45

My twin girl wouldn't look at me properly for the first few months! I drove myself mental over it and used to put my hands at either side of her face to try and give her no option but she'd still avoid looking at me! I also used to clap next to her face and nothing. Absolutely no reaction. She's always been a lot more chilled and shyer than her twin brother who looked at me all the time and craves attention. I worried about autism and googled non stop but she gradually starting looking at me more and now she's the most loving little 13month old who loves my attention. There's nothing I can really say that will stop you worrying about your own situation 100% I know that! Does your LO look at toys/ people when she wants? We had a flashing musical toy attached to the baby gym that she liked to look at. I think I was overwhelming her by putting her in front of me and almost demanding eye contact. She looked at what she wanted to and is still just as defiant now grin I think we all assume the worst bit chances are it's all completely fine and he'll just be a super chilled little guy (maybe a little bit too chilled at times smile)

Donhill Sun 30-Apr-17 06:20:43

My ds1 was like this. Never looked at faces and if I moved into his line of vision he would look away. He was also not very keen on cuddling and as a baby would sort of push away from me. He is absolutely fine now (age 11). Still can avoid eye contact at times but not to an extent that anyone but me would notice. I think he just found eye contact overwhelming and he still is easily overwhelmed by emotional situations. I worried too particularly when seeing other babies as they seemed to stare non stop at faces.

fiftyplustwo Sun 30-Apr-17 06:49:21

Impaired vision?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now