Talk

Advanced search

Terrible day with my 7 year old behaving badly in public

(6 Posts)
iamworkingonit Sun 23-Apr-17 19:39:19

We attended a rugby tournament which was pretty much a whole day event. The children play tag rugby in teams of 4 and have about 5 games throughout the day.
I got a ride with a friend as I don't have a car. Things got off to a bad start and I was panicky as we needed to be at my friend's on time. She is a coordinator. Anyway the bus stop was closed and road works meant we arrived late.
My son was defiant and rude all day long ....challenging what I asked him to do and arguing. He went on and on about a toy my friend's child had got at one of the tents selling odds and ends. He attempted to get snacks out of the friends bag without asking. It was awful and I felt like crying. My son was dawdling and rude on the pitch.
I talked to him when we got home and he cried his eyes out. I just want to get the whole thing down as I feel so upset.

WallisFrizz Sun 23-Apr-17 19:43:27

Is it a one off? If so, discipline him as you normally would (confiscated gadget or whatever) and move on. Is there stuff going on in the background?

iamworkingonit Sun 23-Apr-17 20:05:06

There is nothing extraordinary happening at home. He is generally quite reactive and sensitive and he tends to misbehave when he is anxious. I am having some difficulty helping him manage this. He is no angel but his behaviour is usually within the norm (I think) of that of a young boy.

purplehonesty Sun 23-Apr-17 20:50:41

Sounds quite normal really. My ds is the same age and sometimes has days like that - you are not alone.

He is also sensitive and cries when you tell him off.

iamworkingonit Sun 23-Apr-17 21:25:52

Thanks purple honesty I felt alone today.

crazymissdaisy Sun 23-Apr-17 21:32:44

It sounds to me like your own sense of panic and stress has made it all seem overwhelming. Can you tell yourself that on a normal day you would absolutely have taken your DCs behaviour in your stride? I imagine the public nature of it all has made you feel worse, but honestly people will barely have registered it, most people are v thoroughly engaged in their own concerns!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now