Talk

Advanced search

Toddler anxiety

(4 Posts)
pixiebell79 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:52:38

Having some real issues with my 3 year old and even the nursery manager is stumped. He's suddenly developed significant separation anxiety, to the extent that i had to bring him home again this morning as they weren't happy for him to be so upset for too long. One of the things we've noticed is that a) if he's told off, or thinks he's done something wrong that was compulsive, he hits himself (on the knee, or back of the hand) and keeps saying 'No!' as if telling himself off. He also seems to really struggle with the noise level of the other kids.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on this one I'd be so grateful. I honestly don't know what else to do. I've tried staying a while and I've tried being firm. We tried distracting him and then saying bye when he's got his mind on something. Usually, once I've managed to leave he's perfectly happy, but things are getting tougher, rather than easier. He always loved going, but now the mere mention of the place and he's saying he doesn't want to go or that i can't go when he's there.

Sorry for the long thread!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 21-Apr-17 21:53:45

Does he have to go while you work? If he doesn't have to go, I'd not send him.

pixiebell79 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:55:59

He doesn't have to go (except to save my sanity!) but he does the same any time i try to leave - today I tried to nip to the shop while he was playing with his dad and he threw a major tantrum sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Apr-17 20:05:45

Do you give him lots of notice that you are leaving?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now