Talk

Advanced search

4 year old - violent language

(2 Posts)
Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 21-Apr-17 06:17:27

Over the holidays, I've heard a lot of violent language from my 4 year old, 'I will chop him in two' and similar. When I explain that is unkind, he understands. When I ask him, where he has heard it, he repeats the name of a boy at school.

We've had issues with this boy excluding my son from play over the school year and last term, DS was saying 'x isn't my friend as he doesn't let me play'. He now seems to be accepted.

I'm just quite worried about the violence of the language. It's all imaginary, but is this normal for a 4 year old to be hearing this? My son just watches Paw Patrol and Blaze, so he is not exposed to violent imagery at home.

Sleeperandthespindle Fri 21-Apr-17 06:37:37

It's very, very normal, and you can't really blame any particular child from school. My four year old (reception) won't even listen to any books scarier than 'Blue Kangaroo', but has a considerable repertoire of bizarre threats and makes shooting/ exploding noises most of the time.

7 year old acquaintances seem to have grown out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now