Talk

Advanced search

10 year old, eating and body image

(3 Posts)
lolaflores Tue 18-Apr-17 21:31:52

over the last month or so my 9 year old daughter has stopped eating breakfast, half eats her dinner, lunches from school come home barely touched and she is losing weight. She started her periods a few months ago. Is much more physically developed than any of the girls in her class.
we went shopping yesterday and she was intrigued by the idea of size 0. we got her some things (all in grey) and she was over the moon when she put on the shorts we'd bought and they went up without having to undo the zipper.
She seems to live in her room watching vlogs of gamers. It seems hard to reach out to her.
All her friends are half her size. She talks about what will fit them and what would fit her
We are due to return to the UK in july, she will miss her school here (she has been there for 3 years). I am not sure if it is the domestic circumstances or the start of something more.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 18-Apr-17 23:55:19

Where are you at the moment? Is there a large cultural requirement to be thin?

Puberty is such a difficult time- if she is looking different from the other girls at the moment she's probably just trying to regain some semblance of control. Has anyone at school said anything to her about her being 'different'?

Hopefully she'll make some new friends in the UK and it can draw her away from the internet/

Blondie1984 Thu 20-Apr-17 00:38:20

All of what you have described does sound like there is something more going on than just being related to domestic circumstances.

Has she said anything about being more developed than her friends? Or feeling different to them?

I would encourage you to try and get her to open up a bit more about how she is feeling about moving to the UK and, within that, try and see if you can get her to explain why she is eating less, spending so much time in her room etc - to see if she is consciously trying to lose weight etc - if she is then it is SO important that you reassure her that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to body size and that she has so many other qualities other than what she looks like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now