Talk

Advanced search

12 week old almost never awake

(11 Posts)
alltalknobaby Tue 18-Apr-17 11:51:27

My LO is 12 weeks old tomorrow and I'm worried she is sleeping too much. Is only being able to stay awake for 1.5ish hours normal? A typical day's sleep looks something like:

19:30-06:00 (10.5 hours)
07:30-09:00 (1.5 hours)
10:00-12:30 (2.5 hours)
14:00-15:00 (1 hour)
16:30-18:00 (1.5 hours)
Total ~17 hours.

Is this normal? I don't know if this is a silly thing to worry about but she just seems to be asleep all the time at the moment! When she is briefly awake she's fine - happy, alert, smiley, starting to grasp things, feeding perfectly, wet and dirty nappies, etc.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Tue 18-Apr-17 11:56:02

www.babycentre.co.uk/a7645/how-much-sleep-does-your-baby-need

I've read babies up to 6months need 16-20 hours sleep. I think there might be concerns if they sleep so long at night they don't get fed (do you wake to feed during the night)- but apart from that, I think it's fairly normal. Why not give the Health Visitor or your GP a quick call on the phone to check if you are still concerned, more to put your mind at rest than anything?

alltalknobaby Tue 18-Apr-17 12:00:34

Thank you foureyes. Seems normal according to that. I did ask the GP about the long night sleep - I don't tend to dream feed her because it seems to make no difference to her - he said it's fine. She is growing like a weed so that reassures me that she's ok going that long without food.

5moreminutes Tue 18-Apr-17 12:04:32

It sounds as though you have an amazing text book baby! It's a shame worry is spoiling it for you - other equally normal babies are waking hourly around the clock and torturing their mothers/ parents with sleep deprivation...

She sounds perfect as she is developing well when awake. Try to enjoy her.

CleverNever Tue 18-Apr-17 12:05:00

At that age 1.5 hours awake time is normal. It'll gradually get longer as she gets older. If you google 'awake time 12 week old' you'll see 1.5 hours is pretty perfect for that age, although all babies vary.

alltalknobaby Tue 18-Apr-17 12:07:44

Thank you. 5more I know I am super lucky and very grateful for such a "good" content baby who does not torture me! 😊 I can't help but try to find something to worry about though 🙄

Mrstumbletap Wed 19-Apr-17 11:50:29

I remember someone saying to me 90 mins awake time when they are tiny.

How does you LO sleep? In a cot, basket, in their own room or in the lounge etc? Is it just really quiet and peaceful where they have a nap?

alltalknobaby Wed 19-Apr-17 12:19:42

Yes MrsTumble it is quiet and peaceful- she sleeps in her crib beside my bed upstairs, I am downstairs with the video monitor. So perhaps because she has that peace and quiet she sleeps longer or more often, you think?

Mrstumbletap Wed 19-Apr-17 13:23:48

Yeah maybe you have just created a lovely zen like place up there that she likes it! But if she she sleeps well at night I would just let her sleep in the day.

As soon as you start to notice her night time sleep reducing, then reduce the day time naps. As you will gradually over the next couple of years reduce the day naps down to just one lunchtime nap and a big long night time sleep.

Mrstumbletap Wed 19-Apr-17 13:25:48

Any fully enjoy the rest too put your feet up, have a cuppa, watch the telly, read a book and enjoy it. Us mums never do that enough. Don't waste nap time on housework wink

alltalknobaby Sat 22-Apr-17 10:18:42

Thank you MrsTumble ☺️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now