Talk

Advanced search

At my wits end with 6y.o. I need help please!

(5 Posts)
ViolentDelights Mon 17-Apr-17 12:47:53

He's so rude, and angry and grumpy. Just spent a week with family and they have all commented on it. Had lots of activities and variety - calm days and exciting theme park days. But his behaviour and rudeness has been so appalling that I had to impose consequences so he now has no tv or any more of his easter chocolate for a week.

This can't go on. He had a massive tantrum in the middle of the last fun child centred place we went to because we weren't walking fast enough! I need help, please!

pickledparsnip Mon 17-Apr-17 12:57:06

No advice but just wanted to say that I have a 7 year old boy who is very similar.

pickledparsnip Mon 17-Apr-17 13:00:12

Could it be that it was just too much? Sensory overload? Really tired? My boy seems to find lots of people and organised fun stuff just a bit too much sometimes. We've had a really busy Easter, and he hasn't had that much time to relax. He's back to school tomorrow and we're spending the day relaxing round the house. Sometimes the pressure to have lots of fun in the holidays can be too much for everyone (mostly me!).

SkiBike007 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:12:06

My DD can be like this and at times the Easter hols off school have been really hard work (for context my oldest is nothing like this). I've been reading up about sensory issues and ASD as she has lots of traits. Does you DS know how to find his own "quiet space" or how to take time out? My DD youngest doesn't and us enforcing it really helps her. Sometimes she just needs "spinning space" or something to "tap" or small toys to absorb herself into, to help release the energy and noisy environments or even just being in a strange/different place or different people, will overload her after few hours. She doesn't recognise it at all so we have to step in and remove her at times from noise or environment. If we don't I've had and still get tantrums & meltdowns. She's 5.5yrs.

Hillwalker1 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:20:41

I do the same as SkiBike007 with my 4 year old daughter. Sometimes she just needs to be quiet and on her own because she is loud and busy most of the time. I often plan too much thinking she will get bored if I don't but then it's all too much for her. I find it difficult to strike a balance in the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now