Talk

Advanced search

6 year old putting things in mouth

(3 Posts)
Shenanagins Sun 16-Apr-17 20:15:13

I'm getting quite concerned about my 6 year old who has recently (last few months) started putting everything in their mouth. He was always a bit grabby over food but now it's everything, from salt cellars on tables to staples.

I am really at a loss as to what's causing it as when asked he says that he doesn't know why he does it.

I've also asked if there is anything worrying him but he says no.

His behaviour in school isn't great, low level stuff like not listening/doing as he's told etc. but it is constant. The teacher says that he's very intelligent and when doing an activity of interest his attention never waivers but also unsure what triggers some of the poor behaviour.

He has also started making random noises which we thought was as a result of copying a classmate but now I'm not so sure.

I'm really at a loss over what could be causing this and what to do do would appreciate any advice.

Hia3 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:55:26

Obviously it's quite difficult to give advice without seeing your child. You could just be over worrying- he is still quite a young boy. Lots of boys find it difficult to listen/concentrate in school and figet and like to touch things etc, especially if they are bored.

But I would also listen to your gut instinct- if you feel there is something going on or not quite right- get some advice from school or chat to your G.P.

Obviously I have no clue without seeing your child , but you saying your son has started to make random noises really reminded me of my son at 6 yrs old( now 17yrs old)- - at 6yrs old he started to made random noises often- I use to tell him off all the time, as it was very irritating- he then developed a slight head twitch- I was extremely anxious about it.

After seeing my G.P and then a consultant- he was diagnosed with tics- apparently quite common with children. I was told to ignore all tics and that the majority disappear after a couple of months- within 2 weeks of ignoring, his tics went completely. I was told bringing attention to the tics makes them worse. Occasionally for short periods of time other tics have reappeared over the years- nothing for the past 2 years. I think he has grown out of them now . Strangely my best friends son 2 yrs later( her son was 8yrs old)- was also diagnosed with tics- he had the urge to touch certain things and lick them. It was a very stressful time for her, but after a few months- all those behaviours stopped and he has had nothing since- he is now 16yrs old.

Shenanagins Sun 16-Apr-17 21:59:11

hia3 thanks for replying. I will take him to the dr but it is so worrying but let's hope it's just a phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now