Talk

Advanced search

Sleeptalking 3 year old

(7 Posts)
user1488460762 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:27:20

DS is 3, almost 4, no SEN. The last 3 months he has started talking in his sleep. LOUDLY. He wakes us up most nights and it is constant chatter. Last night i was woken by a rendition of 'happy birthday' complete with clapping. But seriously, my other DCs are being woken and it's making them really cranky. Any ideas on how to help him stop? Do i see a GP? See if he grows out of it? Very cute but driving us all ever so slightly crazy grin

ScarlettDarling Wed 12-Apr-17 21:34:22

I don't think there's anything you can do to make him stop I'm afraid! I've sleep talked my entire life...it gave dh quite a shock to be woken up by me wittering on about a hairy cat(?) the first night I stayed over with him!

My son sleep talks and sleep laughs too. With both of us it seems to happen at times when there's a lot going on in our lives. So if we're stressed or excited about something then we sleep talk/laugh a lot more. Sorry!

user1490981241 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:43:27

Its normal, have you noticed any sleepwalking or movements like sitting up clapping etc or always lying down as usual? If so dont wake him! Leave him to ride it out he may just be going through a phase maybe excited about something, a greivance, a change in routine or home life e.g. no more dummy, potty training, big boy bed etc can all be triggers unconsciously smile

DS is 21 months and giggles laughs and sometimes screaches for no reason and says 'gee' (doggie to him lol) but luckly he is our one and only so its just cute and funny to us grin so my sympathies!

DH also sleep talks alot... mostly in jibberish that sounds german lol but had a full blown heated argument with me in his sleep one night because someone ate all the birthday cake... he wasnt impressed hmm :')

blamethecat Wed 12-Apr-17 21:48:41

Ds sleep talks one memorable night he woke me up chuckling and said "hmmm captain turbot" clearly he watches too much paw patrol grin I sleep talk too, poor dp can't even get peace at night.

user1490981241 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:19:23

Blamethecat, DS is the same he is obsessed with paw patrol (especially marshall) decorating his room paw patrol this weekend lol. Ive watched that much of the show that i will be repeating the episode scripts in my sleep :')

user1488460762 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:52:26

I do think it is very cute and funny, but my autistic DD and DP who leaves for work at 4.30am do not feel the same way. I am thinking about converting the spare room, which is further from DD and may help. Thank you for the replies smile

user1490981241 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:16:24

I can understand that hun, rearranging the sleeping arrangements may help. Try to make it exciting for DD if she is changing rooms and make it seem a big deal so she can pick her own bedding, new pjs etc and the colours and it will help the transition go smoother, last thing you need is her having more dleep troubles too! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now